photoshop witchcraft

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
It was a joke...sorry.
This is possible, in general. I've seen people working on algorithms to, more or less, fill in an area on a photograph based upon what's there and comparisons with similar pictures.

It's currently well beyond the scope of Photoshop. Possibly beyond your desktop computer to do in a meaningful timeframe....

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Even if a computer is connected to a human brain on drugs, there is no way to definitively restore missing details, especially if they are unrelated to the remaining image.

ddrueding

Fixture
Even if a computer is connected to a human brain on drugs, there is no way to definitively restore missing details, especially if they are unrelated to the remaining image.

Certainly not restore. That is absolutely impossible. But replace with something acceptably similar (or even just plausible) should be possible.

LunarMist

I thought his unit was nailed to the wall or buried in a coffin. :D

ddrueding

Fixture
One of them is bolted to the wall and 7 feet tall, but the real beast lives quietly in an Antec P-183 Chassis under my desk. Doesn't seem like much until you try to lift it ;)

LunarMist

We had a "real beast" that lived quietly by the computer under the desk, but she is long gone now. :(

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
It's fun to need to evacuate your workspace during fire alarms in order to keep from being killed by the suppression system....

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
That seems like a dumb place to put the cylinders. I've always seen them recessed in the ceiling and/or walls.

ddrueding

Fixture
Halon is heavier than air. How was this supposed to work?

When the smoke detector tripped or the big red button was pressed, the alarm sounded and gave you some time before doors started to close automatically. When the doors were closed, the gas (not halon, something less bad for the environment but similar in performance) sprayed out the dispensers and filled the room. The room was completely glass, sitting behind the receptionist in the lobby, and all the doors and cable raceways were gasketed. IIRC, there was room for 4 rows of 6 racks each in there. Because of the "showroom" factor, all spares and actual work took place in another room several hundred feet away.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
It is all FM200 nowadays. Never are you locked in a room and there are always abort switches at every exit and at certain distances around any room using it.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Doesn't that decompose into hydrogen fluoride, AKA hydrofluoric acid, the stuff they use to etch glass?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Need to get Photoshop for daughter for the course she's taking at college. I only see PS offered as a CC App. Has adobe completely stopped selling software with a one-time payment?

LunarMist

Need to get Photoshop for daughter for the course she's taking at college. I only see PS offered as a CC App. Has adobe completely stopped selling software with a one-time payment?

Yes, in 2014. There may be a few old copies of perpetual CS6 DVDs around, but for a while they were at a premium.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Yes, in 2014. There may be a few old copies of perpetual CS6 DVDs around, but for a while they were at a premium.

Thanks. Was afraid I'd hear that.

Aren't there educational discounts? http://www.adobe.com/education/students/how-to-buy-eligibility.edu.html?

Do you know which specific version of PS she needs?
Unclear about version; her lecturer fobbed her off when she asked the questions I told her to ask him. Incompetent asshole. I do have PS CS3 (version 10); if that will do, I am all set. She will try to talk to him again tomorrow.

There are student discounts. If you opt for the complete CS Suite (all sw), you get 60% off the standard price per month. We don't need that. PS alone is the same price for a regular individual or student (go figure!) - half of what the entire suite costs per month. I want to get way from the monthly payment; when you stop, you've got no sw with you. The monthly plan is great for pros who want the latest greatest and have a reasonable monthly payment. It sucks for students and occasional users.

Stereodude

Not really a
Will PS Elements work?

What sort of class is this anyhow? Is it a class on Photoshop or something or does she just need a somewhat capable image editor?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
It's been a while, but the uni bookstores would often carry the educational versions of software. In your case, it sounds like you've done the pricing research and found the edu cost is the same for photoshop. When I was studying at a local community college for some continuing learning in IT, the college was an MS and Cisco partner. We were able to get MS software for ridiculously low prices (basically shipping costs). Not sure if your institution might have a similar deal with Adobe - sounds like checking with someone other than your daughter's instructor might be worth it - a counselor or adviser maybe?

For what it's worth, Photoshop CS3 is probably 90% the same as CS6. However, there are a few killer features that are missing from CS3. But in an intro course, I doubt that those features are going to be used. Most of the instruction will probably focus on the basic tools that have been in place for a decade or longer (my wife teaches a class that uses photoshop). I would, however, anticipate that any instruction may need to be modified slightly for CS3 - similar to what one might have to do if they were using a previous release of a text book. I believe adobe offers a free 30 day trial of photoshop, so that may also be an option to check out.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks all.

I did tell my daughter to ask if PS CS3 or PS Elements would do; she finally nailed him down enough for him to say CS3 would do, so I'm relieved about that.

She also needs to have Corel Draw (why that pox is still used, I don't know). I have to call local edu sw distributors on Monday to find out the damage.

She wanted to major in Psychology and the course was presented as such. It turns out Media and Communications is included as a course (something she had zero interest in) and practically speaking it is being given more importance than Psychology and she's pissed as hell. She needs PS and Corel for the Media and Communications bit.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I checked Corel's local website and called an outfit that was listed as selling the edu version of Corel sw. Guy says it's only for edu institutions and CorelDraw is a 5-user pack, but will sell it to me if I want it - at $1,700. I asked the price for a single user version: $865.

I checked the web and found a Student & Home edition for less that Corel conveniently does not sell here. It's half-priced at Amazon US at $65. I wanted to buy the downloadable version, but they won't let me "due to geographical restrictions". I used a US-based VPN, but the minute I sign-in, they know where I'm based because AMZ-In and US share my profile, and I have been buying a ton of everyday things from the local AMZ.

I guess I'll have to buy the downloadable version from Corel direct; I tried to yesterday, and it didn't prevent me. I'll be paying around $90 for it though.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I bought it from Corel direct; found a coupon that took $10 off. Used my brother's address in the US. Two reasons I didn't ask him to buy it for me: 1) He won't take the money, two, he's super busy as he's going to be traveling extensively starting the next few days.

Thanks to all for offering to help. There are a lot of wonderfully kind people here. :salut: :cheers: :beer:

ddrueding

Fixture
Hoping someone here knows a way to streamline this part of my timelapse workflow:

1. Copy RAW images to SSD
2. Open sequence in Bridge
3. Choose image from middle of sequence and make changes using Adobe RAW
4. Apply those changes to all images using "develop settings", copy/paste in Bridge
5. Use "Image Processor..." either from within Photoshop or from the call menu in Bridge to convert the entire folder (2200 images in this case) to JPEG with the changes.
6. Open in Premiere and mess with video stuff.

Step 5 in particular is time consuming. Even if the source and destination are on separate drives, each of which is the fastest SSD I can get my hands on. CPU is only at 20-30%. Plenty of memory left.

When it is performing this process Photoshop opens each image, shows it on screen, makes the changes, shows that on screen, and then closes it for the next one. This is entirely unnecessary, and likely slowing the process? Is there a faster batch mode of some kind?