Plus Me.

Piyono

Storage is cool
Anyone got a Google+ invitation for a brother?

Yeah yeah, chutzpah, I know. First post in over a year and I waltz in looking for handouts.

Look, at least you know I've not been cheating on SR with some floozy forums, right? I'd have a Google+ invitation by now...

How y'all doin?

:)

Sol

Storage is cool
I swear I haven't been cheating on... Wait, which one are you?

Look, at least you know I've not been cheating on SR with some floozy forums, right? I'd have a Google+ invitation by now...

I hope you do a little better remembering which girlfriend you're protesting your innocence to...

Handruin

Administrator
Same here, PM me an email address if Will runs out or you want me to send you an invite.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
+1 on the Google Apps gripe. They give some spiel about it needing to be tweaked for business. But there are plenty of us on google apps that aren't businesses.
That and they don't have multiple account sign in for picasa.
I have to log out and log in to another account to access my picasa stuff on the desktop.
So I'm on google+ but not with my domain account. And I haven't added friends or really done anything except hand out invites because it isn't my domain account.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
If any of you guys want to look me up, I'm in a 'circle' with Handruin. Or, you can just look up Kevin Harper....there can't be too many of those on there....yet. I'm the dude wearing the coat and dark sunglasses. Or just look at my avatar to the left..it's pretty close.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm a social networking conscientious objector.
I am sort of interested in how well Spotify does or does not work. I suspect it's "not" in my case, but that's the curious part.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
So why did I waste all that time with the controller cards? !Arrgh! My computer is outdated.

ddrueding

Fixture
I have a LinkedIn account, and until this Google+ thing, had never even been to facebook ay any of the others. The problem is that I need to know how these things work. We'll see how long I bother.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Has anyone here ever landed a job from having their details on LinkedIn?

My profile is blank, because I believe in zero Internet visibility (not quite as bad as CougTek, but pretty close). I'm wondering if I need to change my attitude.

Thanks to Facebook, my wife has made a hobby out of cyber stalking. She can find out all sorts of things about people, sometimes before they realize it themselves.

LunarMist

Mostly people just get followed by their coworkers and the company HR depts. ;)

Stereodude

Not really a
Has anyone here ever landed a job from having their details on LinkedIn?
I've had a fair number of unsolicited messages from HR people looking for people to fill jobs opportunities via LinkedIn. In fact I changed my profile to cut down on them.

FWIW, I've gotten two jobs through Monster.com.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've managed to get two people jobs through LinkedIn (at the very least it gave their new employer warm fuzzies that there was a reputation trail of some sort.

LunarMist

Why? I would think anyone can post any BS on the LinkedIn. Does anyone at LinkedIn actually check the content for accuracy?

LunarMist

Yes, that is my point. So why would that give anyone a fuzzy feeling?

ddrueding

Fixture
Yes, that is my point. So why would that give anyone a fuzzy feeling?

Clearly you don't interact with typical middle management? It used to be that if the TLAs on someone's resume were the same as those on the position requirements, then they were hired. Now they need someone to say that they were good with those TLAs.

ddrueding

Fixture
I did for a long time, but not so much anymore. Most of the things that I would want to protect are already in the possession of the people that I would want to protect them from.

LunarMist

I've been in middle mangement and interviewing/hiring candidates since the 1980s. Any halfway decent company springs for at least a basic background check before the people are hired. (That typically does not apply to temporary workers/contractors/consultants, but usually they can be terminated with not more than a 0-2 week or a 30 day penalty.) Even so I've seen too many employees terminated after a while for having false or misleading info on their resumes. Most of those are related to incomplete degrees or job responsibilities at previous employers.

Primarily I have been in high-tech fields, where the employees are exempt status and have at least a BS, if not a Masters or Ph.D. I'm sure it may be different in different fields and I know that some companies are out of control with nepotism and inconsistent policies.

Piyono

Storage is cool
I did for a long time, but not so much anymore. Most of the things that I would want to protect are already in the possession of the people that I would want to protect them from.

Same.
I'm one of the last remaining few amongst my friends without a Facebook account. I avoided social networks until Google+ came along. I figure that Google is such an integral part of my day what with email, contacts, docs, photos, search, shopping and so forth, that opting into another of their services isn't really all that big a deal. They have at their disposal as much information about me as any large company, and probably more, so why fight it?

Now comes the fun part: dragging my FB friends kicking and screaming over to G+.

Piyono