• It's great, I love it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's a disaster, nothing works

• It's improved a bit since the first version, but still slow and unreliable

• I've had to find alternative scanning methods since they broke it

• It only works about half the time. Bring back the old one!

• New? Since when?

• Shrug. It's OK

• Housecall? What's Housecall?

• Total voters

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Trend Micro comprehensively revamped Housecall a month or so ago. New Housecall versions are usually pretty bug-ridden for the first week or two, then get better. But this one has been around for quite a while and is still broken. Opinions please. And - importantly - alternative, for I'm starting to think that they will never get it working properly now.

Handruin

Administrator
I've had the same problem. Ever since they changed it, it only works half the time. I would like the old one to return even though it required IE6. I like that they tried to make it more compatible with other browsers, but the new java app sucks.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
No, no! Java apps are supposed to suck. It's designed in at every stage to ensure ISO 9001 compliance.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
The part that I really, really hate is the way it says "select alternative scan method" (or words to that effect), so you do that ('cause the Java one is horribly broken and won't run a lot of the time even if you do download bloody Java) and it gives you a choice of precisely one method - the same bloody Jave crap that you just tried to back out of.

Or else it starts running and then just sits there forver while you wait ... wait ... waiit ...no-one home.

I've resorted to buying a copy of Norman Anti-virus and mounting the customer drive in an external USB case while I scan them.

The new Housecall sucks.

Come to that, I'm not too impressed with Treend Micro IS 2006. It's getting the bloat disease. If they keep on like this, they will wind up as bad as Norton. Well, OK, nothing is as bad as Norton unless we count Mcafee, which introduces a whole new planet to the concept "bad", but that's is the general direction Trend Micro seem to be heading in.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Most customers that I visit with an infected system have problems getting online, so Housecall is useless. NOD32 does the trick.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Why bother with anti-virus? Go to the customer, format the partition on which the OS is installed. Say the virus did it and then charge for the re-installation :twistd:

Then propose to the customer a class on how to make backups and charge him another hour of time. :rotfl:

Ignorance has a price and if you don't know what it is, I'll show you how much on the bottom of my invoice.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
CougTek said:
Why bother with anti-virus? Go to the customer, format the partition on which the OS is installed. Say the virus did it and then charge for the re-installation :twistd:

Then propose to the customer a class on how to make backups and charge him another hour of time. :rotfl:

Ignorance has a price and if you don't know what it is, I'll show you how much on the bottom of my invoice.

Because I'm not an unethical man...