Post your photographs here

snowhiker

Wannabe Storage Freak
For me, "post processing" is so frustrating, I basically haven't taken any photos in nearly 2 years. I DO NOT WANT to deal with any catalog or database PP software. No Adobe pay monthly crap. I'm not printing. I'm not selling. I'm not sharing (save the occasional post to forums). I'm not creating a web site or posting to social media. I simply want to File--> open RAW file --> "edit exposure/color" --> crop --> save as "XYZ" --> DONE.

I haven't purchased any post-processing/photo editing software. I downloaded "Darktable," and I have Nikon's "Capture NX-D" to edit RAW files. I also have "GIMP 2" and "Paint.net" to edit .JPG files.

I can't even figure out how to select a rectangle to crop in Darktable. Tons of options, BUT NO SIMPLE, INTUITIVE way to crop a selection on screen. WTF?!? I can "rectangle select" in Paint.net (Click upper left, drag to lower right to select) but you can't even independently drag the left/right/top/bottom sides of selection to re-size. WFT!!!!!!!!!! I can figure it out in GIMP, but GIMP doesn't read RAW files. Pathetic.

Maybe I'm just a retard but it seems even basic PP software has a learning curve I can't overcome. /sigh

snowhiker

Wannabe Storage Freak
I see you are getting closer the subject. :)
What are you using for PP? There is too much chroma noise, especially for ISO 400.
EXIF data says 2.99 meters to subject. I bumped up the saturation to enhance the colors (sent you a link to RAW file) so that might have increased the noise.

I'm still hand holding camera. Images still not as sharp as I'd like even with a 1/2000 sec shutter speed. Looking to pick up a quality tripod/head+gimbal very soon as the 200-500 lens is a pig to hand-hold.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a
EXIF data says 2.99 meters to subject. I bumped up the saturation to enhance the colors (sent you a link to RAW file) so that might have increased the noise.

I'm still hand holding camera. Images still not as sharp as I'd like even with a 1/2000 sec shutter speed. Looking to pick up a quality tripod/head+gimbal very soon as the 200-500 lens is a pig to hand-hold.
The eye is sharp, so your shutter and focus were fine, but a tripod helps composition and control substantially at 500mm.

snowhiker

Wannabe Storage Freak
I thought bumblebees were simply all black, but they seem to have an iridescent sheen on their wings and bodies. This shot is two stops underexposed, taken at ISO 180. Must have bumped the exp-comp as I was zooming as EXIF says photo taken at 480mm not 500mm.

Flower seems fine but sky is more noisy than I thought it should be. The sheen on the body looks like bad color noise mentioned by Lunar above. Hmmmmm.

5137.jpg

snowhiker

Wannabe Storage Freak
When you exit Grand Canyon National Park from the eastern portal you come upon the "Little Colorado" gorge. This shot taken April, 2015. Image is 4k (3840x2160).

4k_Little Colorado_APRIL_2015.jpg

snowhiker

Wannabe Storage Freak
^^^ Some very nice vacation pics DD. Industrial stuff is interesting as well.

Yeah. Life happens. Things change. Hobbies change. Busy, busy, busy. So many things I used to do, all the time, I seldom or never do anymore. Such as: Day hiking, car-camping, backpacking (incl. snow-hiking), vacation/road trips, weight lifting, mountain/road biking, racquetball, build/upgrade/repair PCs, PC gaming, chess/backgammon, etc, etc, etc.

Photography almost joined that list but I haven't abandoned it yet.