Power supplies

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The best computer PS is the one that works reliably and lasts for some years. :) It's difficult to take that article very seriously when there are ads for power supplies right above it. :(

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
My problem with what AnandTech is doing is that they have been only reviewing extremely high-end power supplies. What is important to computer users are the mid to low end range. What people want/need to know is what power supply they can get away with. Is the free (with rebate) PS good enough or do they need to buy a $45 or a $90 500W one. Everyone already knows that the 750+W $200+ power supplies are good and overkill.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The kiddies and Gen Ys in the target audience need their computers in top shape to slaughter opponents a few ms faster. ;)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That's pretty much a general criticism of enthusiast publications in general, Mark. ExtremeTech, MaximumPC, CPU, AnandTech, Tom's Hardware...
Pretty much all of them make that mistake.

When any publication talks about $1000 computers or for that matter $100 power supplies as "low end", I know they are not dealing with reality.

paugie

Storage is cool
Spot on.

I'd like someone to torture the 200 gram 500W Power Supply suppplied with the generic casing (which was the cause of my tetanus shot the other day) to find out if it will last a year running an E2140 with 1Gb RAM on an all onboard mobo with an optical drive and 160Gb HDD for, say, a minimum of 12 hours per day.

Handruin

Administrator
I have the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 QUAD that they rated very high and I've been very happy with it so far. I basically bought it to power my ATI monster that ended up dieing any ways.

I know what you guys are saying though. There needs to be a review of the normal power supplies that the majority use on day to day systems.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
We have now identified a market place lack. I'm absolutely positive there are the skills here to satisfy that deficiet. If people are upset about SF losing members, here is a way for us to grow and potentially grow very big ...

Handruin

Administrator
I'm all for it, but I know that the ideas of reviews have been shot down in the past. How would we get these power supplies? Would the sample base stem from the units of the system builders?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Moreover, I think the main issue we'd all like to see addressed is reliability, and that's very difficult to do.