Printers: Fast 1-page documents

ddrueding

Fixture
If you had to buy a printer where the main criteria was the time from the job being sent to the first page or two being ready, what would you pick?

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I think ink jets are typically better at this because they don't need to warm up and can start printing right away.

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks for the bits so far. Now that I've met with them, I have a more complete write-up.

This will be for a dinner auction. All night I'll be printing one and two page receipts, and at two different times I'll be running 300+ page reports. I'll need to carry the hardware in and out by hand, so a full-size copy machine would be...difficult. I don't think inkjets would be up for the major jobs, so I'm looking at lasers.

Does anyone know of one that is faster than usual on that first page? How about real speed from a small device?

Turning off power savings is a great idea, thanks!

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm sure there are heaps of others, but ...

I recently mothballed my Samsung color laser in favour of our old Kyocera B&W laser. Couldn't help but notice how much faster printing the first page is.

So I'd recommend the Kyocera FS-1100. The specs claim 6 seconds for the first page (if you turn off some of the power saving). It's rated at 30ppm, so I figure the second page won't be far behind. At 10kg, it's no lightweight, but still quite manageable.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Oh ok for that night only you will be pretty demanding on that printer so in my opinion a laser would make sense. Most list stats for time to first page but where you turn off power savings or are printing that much that particular stat won't matter. I think they also list stats for time to print when warmed up, skim those numbers and cherry pick something.

Also how many people will be backed up for receipts waiting on that 300 page report? Could that be a print to file for the next day or printing to another printer if they have to have it?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Canon makes a lightweight (6kg) printer (LBP3250) that also claims 6 seconds, but it doesn't appear on the Canon US website.

The LBP3310 is rather less lightweight (11kg), manages 6.5 seconds, and also isn't on the US website.

I steeled myself and checked HP, and came up with a best of 9 seconds, or 'we won't bother to tell you'. Maybe someone else with an hour to kill could find something better on HP's site?

Brother's best appears to be 8.5 seconds (not the cheapest ones).

I dunno, does anyone else make printers?

Aha! I have it, good old OKI. Entry Level B400 can do it in 5.5 seconds. Or better yet, B4550 brings that down to 5 seconds.

Of course, printer manufacturers have been known to lie/exaggerate a bit. Good luck.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I would second the Kyocera recommendation. Cheap on the longer term consumables too.

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks again.

There will actually be three distinct phases.

1. Silent auction/check-in

At this point papers are already out for each item, so we are just keying people into the system as they come in.

2. Item entry, redistribution.

All the papers are brought in, with the winners entered into the system. As the live auction wraps up in the dinning hall, those winners are added as well. A page (or two) is printed for each person, listing all of their winnings. Items are physically grouped by winner, ready for them when they leave the dinner.

3. Checkout

As people leave the dinner, they come up to settle their balance and pick up their items.

Phase 1 isn't a big deal, some additional items are added during check-in, so the occasional page needs to be printed.

Phase 2 occurs after the auctions are closed, so there is only the one massive print job to worry about. Faster is better, as people are waiting for phase 3 as soon as phase 1 ends.

Phase 3 is where the madness is. It seems that everyone wants to leave as soon as the live auction is over. We'll have between 3 and 4 check out lines, taking money and printing receipts. Most are only 1 page, some 2.

At the end there is one last, massive report, then we're done. Typically by 3AM.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have to do something similar once a year (at least the auction receipt part). I use Deskjet 932 printers. They're workhorses and I wish HP made inkjets as nice as those.

For the reports, I'd just set up a VPN (use Hamachi if need be) to get your systems to bulk print on a legitimately fast network printer somewhere.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
DD - What you need is a thermal receipt printer like a lot of POS terminals/cash registers use. Some of them spit out about a foot a second for print speed. This Epson does 53 lines/second. Separate from that use a traditional laser for the big print job.

Merc - My wife was talking about replacing her mother's 932 with something newer/better for pictures. If we do, you can have it. She lives in LaPorte so we'd be driving right by your area on our way home. No timeline for the replacement at the moment.

ddrueding

Fixture
The software being used (out of my control) only supports normal printers, and prints out of Windows.

One of the options I have is to have multiple smaller printers or fewer larger ones. Bringing in a beast is very tempting, but the single point of failure freaks me out. Printer pooling wouldn't work, because they would spend too much time looking for which page is theirs.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
But does the phase 2 large print job need to be referenced or put to use right then or is it just a record? Possible to print it to PDF using cute PDF or something and print it later?

ddrueding

Fixture
Phase 2 needs to be put to use immediately. It is the results of phase 1 grouped by person. It allows the workers to organize the prizes by person, speeding checkout and providing totals.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I know there's not much HP love here, but I was browsing the Black Friday deals and came across this one. 8.5 seconds for the 1st page from power save, "up to" 17 ppm, just over 10 pounds, 150 sheet input tray, monochrome, and $90 (half price) after "instant rebate".

ddrueding

Fixture
I know there's not much HP love here, but I was browsing the Black Friday deals and came across this one. 8.5 seconds for the 1st page from power save, "up to" 17 ppm, just over 10 pounds, 150 sheet input tray, monochrome, and $90 (half price) after "instant rebate".

That is a heck of a price, thanks.