PSU

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Something happened and my power supply is a corpse. :crap:

What is the best quality PSU available in the 600W+ range that can handle 8 hard drives (minimal video) for less than $200. I want a PSU to last a few years and be quiet and reliable. The one I had was 550W, but not the high efficiency kind, so it ran incessantly and generated much heat. (I had to buy it at the local store when a previous system was dying.)

Another issue - The power supply must be available for someone to order in the morning from Newegg. Thanks.

Last edited:

LunarMist

Do the modular connectors get in the way of anything?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I hate modular connectors. They stick out more. If I'm buying a 600W+ PSU, I'm probably going to need most of the cables, and frankly they just add another point of failure.

LunarMist

Do you mean that the 10 x peripheral and 8 x SATA cannot be used together - i.e., extra cords are provided? Now I don't know what to do.

ddrueding

Fixture
The Seasonic M12 700W (what I have) has the following connections on the back:

Hardwired:
ATX (20/24 pin)
4-Pin ATX 12V
8-Pin EPS 12V

Modular:
2x PCI-E
5x Everything else

The PCI-E cables that it ships with split, so each one can support 2 video cards (4 total)

The 5 "Everything Else" plugs can be used with any of the cables provided in any order. The ones included are:

2x 4-plug Molex
1x 2-plug Molex
1x 4-plug SATA
2x 2-plug SATA

Also included is a Molex->2 Floppy plug adapter

You can mix and match as you like. I also order several Antec SKU 30071, which are additional SATA connectors that snap on to existing cables with a #110 punchdown tool. These are wonderful, and let you get many more drives on a single cable.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I bought an Antec Earthwatts a couple of months ago. It will allow me to run folding more aften and for longer periods of time. The electric bill is looking good.

Bozo :joker: