Quad core AMD $189.99

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
The best explanation of what the bug is, and how, where and when it might affect you

http://www.lostcircuits.com/cpu/amd_phenom/
Interesting review, but I wonder why the Q6600 was not ever used in any of the CPU comparisons as it is the obvious direct competitor. The quad CPU's used for comparison were the Qx9770, Qx97650, Qx6850, Qx6700 which is a good representation of the choices but simply missing the 6600.

ddrueding

Fixture
At a price that is 2/3rds of the Q6600 that isn't a direct comparison either. It's main competition is really the E6750. That makes it look like a good deal.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
By price maybe, but quad-core vs quad core the q6600 is closer than any of their quad-core choices which is why its lack is so surprising..

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
While we're on the subject is there any speed difference in ordinary use between this processor and a similar dual-core? Or for that matter a single core? How many applications are actually multi-processor aware? I'm curious because for a lot of tasks my brother's new Athlon 64 x2 4000+ didn't seem dramatically faster than my Athlon XP 3200, if at all. Don't get me wrong, the more cores the better, but you still need proper software to take advantage of them.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
While we're on the subject is there any speed difference in ordinary use between this processor and a similar dual-core? Or for that matter a single core? How many applications are actually multi-processor aware? I'm curious because for a lot of tasks my brother's new Athlon 64 x2 4000+ didn't seem dramatically faster than my Athlon XP 3200, if at all. Don't get me wrong, the more cores the better, but you still need proper software to take advantage of them.

Not surprised jtr. calculate the percentage increase only of CPU clock, and you'd never notice the difference btw the 2 if purely based on clock speed. You see this advice, time and time again when reading comparisons by various review sites, of Mac laptops (oops, forgot you don't read those ;) ) Of course you are aware of all the other variables that may make a difference when combined. To see significant differences you must be doing those tasks that show those big differences, which you could see from various benchmark tests, encoding music or video as an example.

For day to day, faster drive, coupled with faster GPU, will get you minor, but noticeable increases for what your brother or you typically do. You already have enough memory for many apps + OS, though some apps will run faster with max memory available, same with OS's. Wait until next year and buy a SSD drive when they come down in price enough, and you'll see a minor speed bump. Similarly, when the econo GPU's of next year come out, you might wish to try one of them as they will typically run clock speeds (never mind all the fancy graphics standards that they may support, except your M$ train simulator which will probably run better with X10 support or something else...wait for the shipping product to find out what it needs to run best) at least 25-50% faster. That doesn't mean your system in total runs that much faster, but you see a minor bump in some processes.

Photoshop is multiprocessor aware(current versions at least), and you will notice a difference on that---whether or not you consider it significant is subjective at best, as well as some video editing software packages.

ddrueding

Fixture
Going from my old 3800+ to a 3800+ X2 to a 4200+ X2 to my current 6000+ X2, I only noticed the difference on major computing tasks (video encoding, Photoshop Filters, etc.) It didn't make any "normal" stuff faster in any appreciable way.

I'm sure some of the games appreciate it, but new games demands seem to scale well with the available hardware, so it is difficult to tell.