Qualitiy of Samsung HDD warrenty support?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I will need a few drives (purely for storage, for myself and a couple of friends with similar needs) in the near future and was thinking that the Samsung's are the obvious choice both $ and warrenty wise. However, this this SR post caught my attention, and so I welcome any comments on it or similar experiences?....Tannin?

Cheers, CK

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Just noticed that the guy placed the same post in about ten other threads talking about Samsung drives....I sense a Maxtor operative at work

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I hear people bash IBM... but for my sample size of 1 I had great support... I will need support from them again in a couple months... I hope I can get it now that apparently their support is being done by Hitachi.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I don't think it's a guy working for another manufacturer as posting 9 times the same message is more effective to discredit yourself than your target. I think he's just a frustrated customer who lacks in the judgement department.

Tony's experience with Samsung's support, good or bad, won't help you much as you certainly won't deal with the same folks here as he does on his remote island ;-) Buck's experience, being a North American, could be more meaningful to you.

Dell, for instance, is apparently dreadful in Australia, while they are relatively well considered in North America. Customer support may very quite a lot within the same company, depending on the area where you live.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Coug's comment is spot on, CityK. I can tell you that here in Oz, Samsung warranty replacements are prompt, and they give me new drives, not refurbished stuff. (Not that I can claim extensive experience here, I've only had a very small number of failures - there is a thread called "boring reliability cross-post" where the exact number is mentioned, but it's about 4 out of 1500 or so.)

However, the same comment applies to the other products that the same company are responsible for here in Oz - Westan are also the official distributor for WD, Epox, and several others.

But I know nothing certain about US or Canadian Samsung distributors. They might be just as good, or they might be hopeless - I don't know. If I had to take a guess, I'd read between the lines of SR's difficulties with shipping and packing some years ago and think that the US distributor is not up to Westan's standard, but I hasten to add that that is pure guesswork, and I have no factual basis of any substance.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Tannin said:
there is a thread called "boring reliability cross-post"
Yep, seen it, and its the reason why I was looking to elicit a response from you.

Cougtek said:
Tony's experience with Samsung's support, good or bad, won't help you much as you certainly won't deal with the same folks here as he does on his remote island ;-) Buck's experience, being a North American, could be more meaningful to you.
Wasn't really thinking about that when I posted, but absolutely right. Hopefully Buck will weigh in and provide some prespective.

Cougtek said:
I don't think it's a guy working for another manufacturer as posting 9 times the same message is more effective to discredit yourself than your target. I think he's just a frustrated customer who lacks in the judgement department.
Yep, realized that. I posted the update in a hurry and my wise crack wasn't very good.

Cheers, CK

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Sorry CityK, I do not have any experience with Samsung's warranty replacement because I have yet to have one of their HDDs fail. Now, I only use the SP2001H, SP4002H, and the SP8004H, so my experience may be a bit narrow. Nonetheless, I've gone through a dozen of each this past year without issues. But then again my experience with recent WD JBs and IBM 180GXPs have been similar. As has been mentioned elsewhere, proper handling of the drive is crucial to its survival, and my HDD distributor seems to do an excellent job (their packaging is excellent too).

I have had to replace three (my first three - chalked up as DOA for me) Samsung 52x CD Drives, and all were replaced promptly by my distributor with new products. I continue to use Samsung CD Drives because they haven't failed me since.