Question about Opera and Firebird

paugie

Storage is cool
Hello, after years of lurking here I finally found a subject I need to ask.

Because it seems that a lot of the people here use alternative browsers
to IE, I have been trying out Opera for the last three months and
Firebird for the last week. I seem to like Opera better (quick and
clean, few quirks) If I wanted to copy text from a page, I could
highlight it, copy and paste over to Word without having to delete a lot
of pesky boxes which were copied over with the text.
But I can't read pages in offline mode like I could do in IE. In IE, I
could open just about any page I had previously accessed and read it at
my leisure. In Opera, once I had closed the window or even a tab, I
would have to go online, even if I could see the page in "History"
In Firebird, it's much worse. If I so much as clicked "Back" on a page, the
thing would start to dial-up again. There even are pages where scrolling up or down would cause the software to start dialling.
Now, is this "correct" behavior for these software or is there something I am not doing right?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i imagine it's something to do with the way the browsers cache pages. This sounds like correct behavior to me, but there may be different options you can enable to make life more livable.

My best guess is that Moz and opera are made to work when they are online and that when you vitist a page it compares the page on the server with the page in cache. If they match it uses the cache, if not it re-downloads the page.

IE does it similarly, but has the "offline" mode that alters this behavior and just browses from cache.

Perhaps adjusting the "browser.cache.check_doc_frequency" (just filter for the word cache) in Moz's about:config page will correct the problem.

paugie

Storage is cool
oops, sorry. not that. I meant that the software were "made to work while online". It's just that in our place prepaid internet cards are a better value than accounts. That's why I usually just keep loading pages and read them later. But I will be trying the plug-ins from your link a bit later. (just got my windows hosed and the first thing I was able to do upon reformatting was check on this forum :)