Question about the legality Linux DVD decoders

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'm hoping someone can fill me in on this:

How does Linux get around the points outlined on this Zoom Player page? Glancing at OpenDVD.org doesn't answer the question as it hasn't been updated for ~year and a half. Didn't spot anything on Xine pages either. A google search on "Linux DVD decoders" brings up a couple of articles about Intervideo creating the legitimate LinDVD. So, do all modern Linux DVD players use modifications of the original LinDVD code, and hence owe their legitimate decoding capabilities to Intervideo? Or is this still a spot of contention between the forces of evil (MPAA and the likes of) and developers?

CK

Jeff Poulin

What is this storage?
To the best of my knowledge, distributing DVD decoders without paying a royalty only breaks US laws, meaning it's fine to create and distribute them in other countries.

With the internet being global, however, it's very easy to get a foreign copy and download it into the US.

cquinn

What is this storage?
AFAIK:
There are a couple of freeware DVD decoders available in the US.
All you need for a DVD decoder is a supporting MPEG-2 codec to
decode the VOB files.

I think what is potentially in violating of US law is the decrypting of
the VOB files on most commercial DVDs. All member companies of
the DVD forum pay a license fee to include or access the decryption keys
needed to translate the VOB files so they can be decoded by the DVD
players MPEG support. Most DVD players include the decryption capabilty
in with the player or supporting hardware. And to use the freeware
players you still would need some way to get past the CSS protection
on the disc (i.e. Some other DVD player or supporting software).

And there are laws in some other countries (or treaty provisions) that
can have the same force as legal battles here in the US.

In many ways this is still a spot of contention. Some Linux players
get around the problem by using the functionality built into
supporting hardware or software that was bundled with the DVD drive.
If there are any players that make use of the LinDVD code, then they
would get the benefits of Intervideo's membership in the DVD forum,
but I'm not aware of any LinDVD products out yet.

Others make use of pre-existing code (DeCSS or variants) and try to
rely on fair use provisions to hold off a challenge to their use.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
In case anyone didn't read this in our news section:

Following a US court's clearing of ElcomSoft of DMCA infringments (the "Free Dmitry" campaign stemmed from the alarming arrest of a Russian programmer visiting the US), a Norwegian court has acquitted the author of DeCSS on all charges.

Teenager Jon Johansen ("DVD Jon") found himself facing the notorious MPAA in a case dubbed "David vs Goliath". He created DeCSS so he could watch DVDs under Linux, which the MPAA has steadfastly refused to allow.

Significantly, the court ruled that it was not illegal to use DeCSS to watch legally obtained DVD films. This is similar to the result in Australia where Sony ran into anti-competition laws while trying to sue an individual selling mod chips for the Playstation.

I believe the UK has just passed more draconian legislation that might bring the country more into line with the US, but citizens in many other countries still have rights. :p

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
It does seem weird that you have to pay for a movie (essentially paying for the right to watch the movie whenever you please for private use) and yet you are not allowed to copy any part of it, create a backup disk, or decrypt it for other uses without the use of specially aproved software.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Thanks for the info gents. I'm going to take some time over a coffee maybe on Saturday and look closer at the issue. I had cleanly forgotten that the Norwegian case was in regards to Linux software...wasn't paying attention and thought it was purely about DVD ripping.

CK

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
blakerwry said:
It does seem weird that you have to pay for a movie (essentially paying for the right to watch the movie whenever you please for private use) and yet you are not allowed to copy any part of it, create a backup disk, or decrypt it for other uses without the use of specially aproved software.
The thing is, you're not buying the movie. You're buying a license to view the movie under specific circumstances (many HK discs, for example, restrict viewing on the oil platforms/drills used in the open sea). For instance, buying a movie and then showing it to a few friends in your home is fine. But not fine if you charge them an 'admission' fee. Showing the movie at a free club in a public/psuedo-public place is questionable as this does constitute a public presentation which may not (frequently is not) allowed by the license. Typically you should write the distributor for permission, which is almost always granted for non-profits.

And I have no problem with that.

However, people who do purchase the disc & the license to use the disc should have the right to view it on any equipment (hardware, software, OS, whatever) they like so long as the viewing itself doesn't contradict the license. As such, any technology that enables the viewing should be legit as long as the technology's sole usage methods are not in violation of the license agreement. The right to make an archival backup should also exist.

Blakerwry, I'm a little fuzzy on what you mean by decrypting for other purposes. Other than what's allowed by fair use laws, what other purposes are you thinking of? Extracting video clips to play on your desktop should be OK, distributing the clips or making them part of a persentation could be questionable.

- Fushigi

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
1) not allowed to copy it.. this includes taking screenshots, saving the movie (or any part of it) to your HDD

2) not allowed to backup... this simply meant to create a 1:1 backup disk for archiving purposes

3) decrypt for other uses... the other uses could simply be watching the movie or or anything else you can possibly do with a DVD.. to do this, you are supposed to be using software, that as cquinn said, is made by a company who pays a lisensing fee to the DVD Forum... hence you are not allowed to make your own software(you need special software).