Quiet Keys

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm receiving complaints that my typing is a bit loud over the telephone. :D
I seek a reasonably quiet keyboard with the single row entry key and the full pattern of navigation and number keys.
Have you any suggestions that are not outrageously priced? Thanks.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Quiet rules out all "mechanical" (encapsulated) switches such as Cherry MX.

If you can handle short travel keys such as found on Thinkpads, try a keyboard with "scissor-switch" keys, such as Cherry Stream XT, Gigabyte Force K7 or Cougar 200K (these are current models I've tried personally). They're a hybrid compromise between membrane and encapsulated key keyboards.

Otherwise, you just need a decent membrane keyboard. I've read that the Gigabyte Force K3 is a good, robust solution. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any current Logitech or Microsoft keyboards that I could recommend.

Also, your requirement for a single row Enter key might need to be a little more flexible. No-one seems to be able to agree on this aspect of the PC keyboard layout.

Stereodude

Not really a
I suppose muting your phone instead of being that guy on the conference calls is out of the question?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Tell them to fuck off. You're doing something productive while you're on a conference call instead of playing Solitaire or Facebook stalking like everyone else.

ddrueding

Fixture
Just mute your phone on the conference call. I find a direct relationship between how noisy a keyboard is and how much I like using it.

LunarMist

Tell them to fuck off. You're doing something productive while you're on a conference call instead of playing Solitaire or Facebook stalking like everyone else.

Uh, these are personal calls. :rolleyes:
I mute sometimes and sleep other times, so I need to be talking at least sometimes. :rofl:

LunarMist

:scratch: Well, how about you stop typing and pay attention to the person?

Well I do most of the time, but in my condition there is a tendency to pass out occasionally after a few hours.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Who calls you for several hours at a time? I'd put an end to that real quick.

So would I!

What's the seeming obsession with mechanical keyboards over here about? I can't say a whole lot, because I've never used a mechanical keyboard, but rubber dome keyboards do the job alright for me. From my perspective, for what they're asking for mechanical keyboards, it better be some kind of orgasmic experience.

ddrueding

Fixture
I suspect that many of us type for hours every day. If that experience can be made 15% better all the time, that may be worth several orgasmic experiences.

Handruin

Administrator
Lunar, if you're up for doing some of your own research, there is a ton of info under the subreddit for mechanical keyboards that also has a buying guide. If you need a quality key that's quiet and soft, look into Topre type keys. Another option might be a WASD keyboard that you can customize with your own switch types and dampeners to reduce the sound.

You might also reference this flow chart:

whichswitch2.png

LunarMist

My "new" Gigabyte |\\\\\\keyboard is crapping |out.\\\

The \ keeps going by itself.

LunarMist

Not quiet at all.

This. Plus you can bang away all you want and it will last.

I'm sure, but the whole point was to be quiet. I usually throw boards out before they are mechanically worn out. Either the text is wearing off or they are a bit dirty.