iGary

Learning Storage Performance
quill_home_page.jpg
index.bvi

http://www.quillmouse.com/

iGary

The idea with this mouse is:

Your arm is not in a twisted position (i.e. -- hand down on top of the mouse) as you operate this mouse. Instead, your arm is oriented normally with the thumb up.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Just playing around with the orientation of my mouse - I can immediately feel that the quill mouse would be great ergonomically....but it would be a pretty big slab vertically.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
And it's only $100!

Frankly, the thing looks CHEAP. Circa 1994 $5 mouse cheap. Certainly not $100.

This page really sets off my bullshit detector.

"The word 'Ergonomic' has been overused" stated one University Professor Nov 2002

The wonder is that no one bothered to understand the issues before we did

Frankly, I'm not seeing anything on that site, say medical or scientific study, to back up claims of benefit.

Corvair

One thing of note to Southpaws: The Quill mouse is available in both right and LEFT haded versions. Virtually no other mouse maker (that I know of) offers a true lefty mouse.

PS: I'm a Northpaw. :oops:

Mickey

Interesting. I don't think I'd pay $100 for one, though. I actually prefer mice that can be used equally well with either hand; I like being able to switch off so I don't overuse one side or the other.

I suppose it'd be nice if someone could make a mouse that would work on a vertical surface. That way, you could use your regular mouse and not have your arm twisted like you would with a horizontal surface. No idea how you'd keep the mouse from falling off, though. Or maybe a vertical touchpad?

SteveC

Storage is cool
Corvair said:
One thing of note to Southpaws: The Quill mouse is available in both right and LEFT haded versions. Virtually no other mouse maker (that I know of) offers a true lefty mouse.

What about those of us who are ambidextrous, and use the mouse with either hand? I’m left-handed, and while most of the time I use the mouse with my right hand, I do also use my left hand, especially if I'm entering numbers into a speadsheet, and don't want to switch my hand between the number pad and the mouse.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
SteveC said:
What about those of us who are ambidextrous, and use the mouse with either hand? I’m left-handed, and while most of the time I use the mouse with my right hand, I do also use my left hand, especially if I'm entering numbers into a speadsheet, and don't want to switch my hand between the number pad and the mouse.

You and Mickey are just special in that way.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I use the mouse with both hands as well. Usually with my left hand, but I am right handed. I can use it equally well with both hands.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Gary said:
So true. I got to thinking (very briefly) about this yesterday...I kind of wondered how many people have not developed their computing skills further then they could have because of such "barriers", or are forced into adopting an unnatural approach with ultimately detracts from their computing abilities at some level. Then I thought, the whole right click, left click system/culture is stupid....the user/GUI interface could have been developed more intuatively with say something like an "action" click (aka right click) and "function" click (aka left click)....By extention, adoption of such parlance would mean that any input device that naturally suited an individual's dexterity could be made, such that the "action" click could be a left oriented button, and thus avoiding the whole "right click/left click" confusion.....

Being a righty this really doesn't affect me, but I will note that when my brother (a southpaw) comes over and plays games on my computer, he tends to have some difficulty with the mouse (which is not a good one for southy's to begin with - Logitech Mouseman) and usually ends up with a sore wrist.

CK

Platform

CityK said:
...the user/GUI interface could have been developed more intuatively with say something like an "action" click (aka right click) and "function" click (aka left click)....

Well, there's the "old" Macintosh approach, where there's only button and you have to use some combination of Apple Command key, Control key, and/or Shift key -- all of this with a symmetrical mouse that equally offends leftys and rightys.

Back in those halcyon days of the early GUI, MS actually had it right with the 2-button mouse (versus Jobs repeated insistence that more than one button was unneeded). When the GUI finally came to UNIX (OpenLook, Motif), it required a friggin' 3-button mouse. The cat was out of the bag by then; the world had gone mouse-button crazy. Since then, I've seen mouses with up to 10 or 12 buttons and maybe 4 wheels.

I believe that the 2-button mouse (with at least one wheel) is still the most efficient pointing device for us 5-fingered humans.

...Being a righty this really doesn't affect me, but I will note that when my brother (a southpaw) comes over and plays games on my computer, he tends to have some difficulty with the mouse (which is not a good one for southy's to begin with - Logitech Mouseman) and usually ends up with a sore wrist...

If you have a lefty mouse AND a righty mouse, you simply plug both into USB ports. A lefty mouse and a righty mouse will be wired the same on the inside, where the Index Finger Button on each mouse sends the same command down the wire. With true lefty and righty mouses, you won't need to fiddle with the mouse button control panel settings (i.e. -- reversing the button assignments).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I tend to think of my left-handedness as an advantage in computing. I type a larger portion of the keyboard with fingers of my left hand than my right, so I don't "miss" my right hand on a trackball as much as a right-handed person probably would.

The Quill people are still spouting crap.

Just saying "we have science on our side" doesn't mean a damn thing without published and peer-reviewed papers backing it up.

Mickey

Buck said:
SteveC said:

You and Mickey are just special in that way.
:D

It's partly because it's like what SteveC said, about being able to use the NumPad while using the mouse that made me learn left-handed mousing (I'm right-handed). That, and when helping others with CAD, several users are lefties. Some don't switch the keys around, while others do. I've gotten pretty good about adapting to either easily (people at work think I'm weird, but *that's* not new!). ;)