question RAID 1

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Is it possible to establish RAID 1 on the OS after the fact? I am contemplating a simple RAID 1 on some cheap controller such as SIL 3132 or JMicron something or other.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It's difficult since you change the way the drive is accessed. It won't boot for sure unless you modify it prior to moving the installation from the single drive to the mirror. And the mod is quite heavy.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
What I mean is that it would be simpler to reinstall on the mirror than trying to modify the original installation to make it work.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I have had success moving an OS to a RAID controller.
Install the RAID controller. Start the computer and let the OS find the RAID controller. Install the drivers for the RAID controller.
Make an image of the OS. Install the hard drives on the RAID controller and configure the controller for the type of array you want.
Reinstall the OS.
Done

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Hmmm, when I change the access mode to the SATA drive (IDE/compatible to AHCI), I have to do a lot more than just install the AHCI driver on the OS for it to work. I guess that it's different for a RAID controller.

Stereodude

Not really a
Hmmm, when I change the access mode to the SATA drive (IDE/compatible to AHCI), I have to do a lot more than just install the AHCI driver on the OS for it to work. I guess that it's different for a RAID controller.
XP really doesn't like that.

Stereodude

Not really a
Is it possible to establish RAID 1 on the OS after the fact? I am contemplating a simple RAID 1 on some cheap controller such as SIL 3132 or JMicron something or other.
That depends... Usually you can add a drive to an existing controller and set up RAID-1 after the fact (like on an ICHx-R) inside Windows using the Intel utility this however assumes you've been using AHCI mode not IDE mode. If you've been using IDE mode Windows (at least XP) will be very unhappy when you change the controller to RAID.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There's a procedure to enable Intel RAID after the fact. It's complicated and involves screwing around in the registry.
If you have Windows Server, if you create a SoftRAID 1 on another system, you can install to that.

Stereodude

Not really a
There's a procedure to enable Intel RAID after the fact. It's complicated and involves screwing around in the registry.
Yeah, I've ready the procedure before and it wouldn't be something I would want to attempt unless I really had to. You'd want to two step it, enable AHCI first following the fun procedure, then add the 2nd disc to the controller, enable RAID in the BIOS, and then use the Intel utility to create the array by adding a 2nd drive to the existing one and waiting.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Yeah, I've ready the procedure before and it wouldn't be something I would want to attempt unless I really had to. You'd want to two step it, enable AHCI first following the fun procedure, then add the 2nd disc to the controller, enable RAID in the BIOS, and then use the Intel utility to create the array by adding a 2nd drive to the existing one and waiting.

Or should that be 'Praying' :wink: