Rant: Visio

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Why the *hell* doesn't anyone else make a work-alike app that does what Visio enterprise can?

I need Visio to produce proper documentation. I can get by just fine with a different OS, a different office package, different development environment from what Microsoft makes, but there's nothing else out there like Visio.

OK, I guess I could learn to do everything with a CAD package. But Visio actually gathers enough data on its own to do most of the network diagramming I need.

I just tried to get Visio working under WINE. It doesn't. Every other part of Office works, but not Visio, which might as well be an Office app.

Grumble grumble.

For those of you who don't have Visio and ever need to make diagrams of, oh, anything, Visio is a great package. I fully recommend buying it if someone else is paying the bill. :)

James

Storage is cool
Smartdraw isn't bad, unless you're used to Visio. AFAIK it doesn't do network, database or website discovery and mapping, though, and that's what I often use Visio 2002 for.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Visio is an overblown piece of crap that fails to achieve anywhere near its claimed functionality. In short, typical overpriced junk from Microsoft.

And like several other pieces of (now) Microsoft junk, there is no alternative.

Welcome to the Brave New World.