RAW support in Windows 7

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
What would be the point of that, just viewing the thumbnails in an office PC ?

ddrueding

Fixture
Being able to view thumbnails in Explorer makes my life much easier. Having to open Adobe Bridge just to see what pictures I'm dealing with is a PITA. Something as simple as identifying an HDR set becomes much simpler.

LunarMist

Sure, but there are many fully-featured apps for image organizing and editing. Generally the assumption is that anyone who shoots RAW would have something anyway.

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, I was using Adobe Bridge, but it does not making copying/moving files very easy. And if all you are doing is glancing into a folder to see what is in there, having to launch any program is more work than it should be.

LunarMist

DPP launches in less than a seocnd, though it is not so good with >3000 files in a folder. Breeze Browser and Photomechanic are excellent apps, and of course there is LR.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
and picasa, which has had raw support for a while.
I use that for image selection and export/upload.
I use other software for processing the raws.

LunarMist

I was going to mention Aperture, but here I might get flambéed.

Sol

Storage is cool
I was going to mention Aperture, but here I might get flambéed.

Well since it only runs on MacOS and MacOS had built in RAW support before it had Aperture it does seem a bit left field. Still, it's hard to beat for basic RAW processing for the money... Lightroom is probably a little bit better for RAW processing and editing but it's about 4x the price...
(I'm not sure why I object more to paying 160 pounds for a good photo editing and management app than paying 1600 pounds for a 70-200 lens but I just do).

LunarMist

In the US PS is about $600 and LR is often less than $200, so many people opt for the latter and serious users have both.