question RDP patch broken in Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 by Windows Update?

Stereodude

Not really a
Has anyone else had an issue where they can no longer RDP into a patched (hacked) Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 box? I can't RDP into my HTPC any more which runs Windows 7 Home Premium SP1. I've been using the concurrent logon patch from missing remote. It's worked for years up until the last few days. I tried re-applying the patch but I still can't RDP in. Rebooting both PCs didn't help.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
One of my students was whining about it yesterday, but if you're enough of a techie to understand why that hack is so useful and how great having RDP access is, you also probably could guess that wasn't going to be a reliable tool.

The funny thing is that Microsoft probably closed the loophole on accident. It's not like there are millions of Home Premium machines being used as RDP servers.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Can the patch be removed?
Do you have a recent backup you can restore?
System restore to an earlier date?

Stereodude

Not really a
So I finally got around to fixing my RDP problem. I used RDPwrap. It worked on all three of my Windows 7 Home Premium systems.

I'm also thinking to give AnyDesk a try. They make really big claims about its performance which seem hard to believe.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
After reading their claims, I'd say they may be the fastest remote desktop software across a 10Gbps LAN for graphics images.

Specifically, they claim it is "possible to perform office tasks fluently from 100 kB/sec of available bandwidth". That's conservatively 800kbps, which as it happens is my crummy upstream DSL speed. Frankly, that's not very impressive.

They also say that "In local networks, AnyDesks latency lies below 60 milliseconds". This is even less impressive - packet 'ping' latency across a LAN is typically less than one millisecond.

It will be interesting to see Stereodude's conclusions if he decides to try it.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
RDP all on its own is really efficient. It's usable over a 28.8kbps dialup connection. On a 100Mbit+ connection, it's usable for HD video playback. More efficiency is better, but I don't know if that's someplace I'd devote engineering effort.