Reading a NT4 drive in XP?

ddrueding

Fixture
I just upgraded a user from NT4 to XP Pro. I took his old drive and installed it in a USB 2.0 enclosure so he can access his files. The drive letter is showing up, but it prompts for "insert disk". Is this an issue with the old version of NTFS or an indication that the enclosure is not operating properly?

Thanks,
David

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Personally, I've never seen that, and I have taken drives from NT4 systems and have successfully read data from them within 2000 and XP. I've always been in the habit of taking drives like that and connecting then internally.

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks for the quick response Buck, it does indeed look like some other type of error. I connected the drive to my system via USB and it's reading fine. I think their hardware is just too old.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Kinda sounds like an incompatability between the USB enclosure and the drive. How old is this drive anyway?

ddrueding

Fixture
MaxBurn said:
Kinda sounds like an incompatability between the USB enclosure and the drive. How old is this drive anyway?

I didn't stop to look at it, but it was the original drive in a 440BX-based P2-400/128MB NT system. 8GB in 2 partitions of 4GB. When I installed a USB 2.0 PCI card in this machine and got WinXP Pro SP2 installed (yes, same hardware) the drive works fine. Only guess is that the onboard USB wasn't 1.1 compliant?