Really, Really small PC...

ddrueding

Fixture
Mini-ITX has been my friend for quite a while. I've built a few HTPCs out of them, and quite a few car-PCs. But this raises the bar again...

http://www.nanode.com

nanode-03L.jpg

All I can say is...Damn. I could have a cluster of these in the exposed 5.25" drive bays of my current chassis :eek:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Is the nanode a complete minature PC or just the barebones? There is no mention of the hard drive. Is it a standard 2.5" notebook drive?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I recall seeing some Asian company with a computer in a small cube (~5 inches a side, I believe). They. of course, use flash instead of a harddrive.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
These things just don't have the processing power for tommorow's content. Sure it'll play back a 720x480 just fine, but it ain't going to be handling 1920x1080 to well.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I see no reason why you could pop a pentium-M in here isntead of a VIA chip. With a higher IPC and higher clock rate the pentium-M would make a great CPU choice for more demanding computing.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My personal favorite ultra-mini PCs were Sparc-20s fit into 5.25" drive bays with a SCSI interface. I forget which weird Sun reseller made them, but I saw 'em at a trade show and at the time I was seriously in lust with 'em.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
blakerwry said:
I see no reason why you could pop a pentium-M in here isntead of a VIA chip. With a higher IPC and higher clock rate the pentium-M would make a great CPU choice for more demanding computing.

I don't think a M would work in these boards.

ddrueding

Fixture
CityK said:
dd, have you used the Casetronic 2699. I'm pretty sure you used the older 2677

Nope, though I have used the older one. More recent installs have been sans case, that way no fans are required at all. The 7200.7 is the loudest component (hell, the only component that makes sound at all) in the system. And cars are normally pretty good at absorbing sound.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
CityK said:
blakerwry said:

I don't think a M would work in these boards.

no reason you couldn't use a pentium M and have a board the same size. laptops are bound to have smaller boards than these with just as much integration.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Of course, but the problem of obtaining a P-M mini-ITX board remains. Including the one linked in a recent SR thread and some other (vapour?) model I saw about 6 months ago, these don't appear to be too prevalent....I could be wrong, as I just don't follow ITX stuff closely enough to know, but my suspisions are that they are and will continue to be (for the near forseeable future) fringe items at best.