Recommendation wanted, HDD cooler

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I am a bit concerned with temps of my Atlas II 15K and wanted to install a HDD cooler. Can anybody recommend one? Low noise, lots of airflow...

Sol

Storage is cool
Coolermaster make a cage that allows you to fit 4x 3 1/2" drives into 3x 5 1/4" bays which has a 120mm fan for cooling. That at least doesn't seem like a complete waste of drive bays if you have a few extra hard drives (and should provide pretty good cooling with not a huge amount of noise.)

I'll be installing one tonight in my file server so I should be able to give a better review tomorrow.

Other than that most of the coolers I've seen are passive or have 40mm fans at best and I'm not a great fan of 40mm fans, they tend to either make a lot of noise or not actually accomplish much. Vantec make a couple of coolers with larger fans which I would guess would be a little more effective, but you'd probably want to check some reviews...

ddrueding

Fixture
I agree with Sol on this one. Fans small enough to fit in a single-drive enclosure will not work well, will be noisy and will fail quickly. One option is to get a multi-drive enclosure that is larger (and consequently has a larger fan). The other option is more of a home-brew; Use a Zalman heatpipe cooler to increase the surface area (I've had really good results with these), and then mount a larger (>80mm) fan somewhere in the vicinity to get some airflow past the drive.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I miss using my Lian Li case. The drive enclosure of choice was aluminium, and had 2 x 80 or a 120mm fan drawing air through a filter to blow straight across the drives. :(

Home brew it is I guess.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Try checking how much it would be to ship a pound to San Francisco.

That should give us a ball park figure if it's worth my even digging around to find it.

Thanks

Greg