Recovering files/data from Compact Flash card?

EdwardK

Learning Storage Performance
Hello everyone,

My friend recently bought a Kodak digital camera with a Kodak-branded 256mb Compact Flash card. He took several pictures but when he connected the camera to his computer, the computer just can not recognise the flash card. He then took more pictures with another new flash card, and his computer can see/recognise the pictures from this new card.
Is there any way or any utility to recover files/data from a compact flash card? For example, would Nortons Utilities recognise the compact flash card and recover the files?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Cheers,
Edward

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
My only suggestion would be to reformat the card while it is within the camera. He would of course lose the pictures.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I would try to plug/unplug the camera, boot with the camera plugged, erase the driver and then re-install it with the original flash card in, etc. Sometimes, there are simply no rational solution, you just have to try and try and try. And if unsuccessful, you also have to try to forget about throwing the hammer into it.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
This software may be able to recover your photographs:

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

I've never used it, but I'm sure many people have since October, 2001. It was used by a photographer who had his digital camera's storage erased by a an unsympathetic police officer at ground zero in NYC. The photographer later posted his story, pictures, and a link to the software that got his pictures back.

EdwardK

Learning Storage Performance
Thank you everyone for your help. We did try the Photorescue uitlity but it did not help at all. :evil: Since that CF card is a new one under warranty, my friend is going to either get a refund or a new one from Kodak. Then we are going to throw the hammer at that defective CF card :mrgrn:

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers,
Edward

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I have used chkdsk /f successfully on a Microdrive, previously Windows would hang up when trying to copy all the images over.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Similar story here. I had a new CF card that would not format in-camera or in Windows. I was able to fdisk and format it in DOS though.