Refurbished Seagate 36ES any good?

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Just got myself 2 18gb 36ES refurbished Seagate SCSI drives. Does anyone have any experience from them? As a drive and as Seagate refurbished drives? Do I dare put something valuable on them?

Thanks in advance...

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm using two 18GB 10K 36ESs in a WinXP stripe. They seem like great drives to me. The 36ES has a nicer tone than the Atlas 10K III IMO and the performance is just as good if I remember my SR reviews correctly...

C

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
IIRC, there's been two Seagate 36ES from Seagate : Barracuda 36ES and Cheetah 36ES. The former was a slug, but the latter was an acceptable desktop (not server) hard drive. Its main problem was its relatively high cost compared to almost-as-fast IDE hard drives.

...scratch the IIRC above, I was right, just verified. Here's the review of the Cheetah 36ES. Its main strenght, IMO, is its high STR.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The JoJo said:
Do I dare put something valuable on them?
While I have little knowledge about Seagate's refurbished drives, their SCSI drives, on the whole, are very reliable. I wouldn't be worry if I were you.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
CougTek said:
IIRC, there's been two Seagate 36ES from Seagate : Barracuda 36ES and Cheetah 36ES. The former was a slug, but the latter was an acceptable desktop (not server) hard drive. Its main problem was its relatively high cost compared to almost-as-fast IDE hard drives.

...scratch the IIRC above, I was right, just verified. Here's the review of the Cheetah 36ES. Its main strenght, IMO, is its high STR.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention. I have the Cheetah 36ESs. I agree STR is a strong suit but they are pretty quiet too (for a 10K SCSI). In my WinXP stripe, I'm getting close to 100MB/sec.

C

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Thanks for the info everyone.

Yup, they are Cheetahs. Sorry, forgot to mention that.

I now have a Atlas10k3, X15-36LP and the two Cheetah 36ES SCSI drives in my system, along with 1GB of ram and a AthlonXP2400. Feels good and snappy :)

The second computer is for storage with some Samsung IDE drives...

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Groltz said:
Timwhit: How is your Cheetah 36ES holding up?

Still going strong, haven't had a single problem with it. It's also the quietest SCSI drive I have ever owned.