Replacing Motherboard

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Is it possible to replace the motherborad without buying new operating systems?

Meanwhile we are stuck here with only the old 4.2GHz system that has almost no hard drives and a minimal installation.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Is it possible to replace the motherborad without buying new operating systems?

Meanwhile we are stuck here with only the old 4.2GHz system that has almost no hard drives and a minimal installation.

What OS, and what's the license agreement?

Linux - Do what you want.
*BSD - Do what you want.
Solaris / HP-UX - As per your support agreement.
QNX - As per your support agreement.
Windows OEM - As long as you are not replacing more than 50% of the original internal components, no need to repurchase. (That is a rule of thumb, not a hard rule). If replacing more than 50% of the original parts, then a new license is required.
Windows Retail - Do what you want.
Windows VLK/OpenLicense - Do what you want.

LunarMist

The XP64 is OEM. There is no there version I could find. Cost of the OS is not the issue. The installed apps are the issue.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Slight correction. I've reread the licensing FAQ at MS.

11. Rather than purchase completely new PCs, my organization performs in-place upgrades to the hardware on many of our computers. We often times only replace the motherboard, processor, and memory. Since the COA is still on the case and the OS is still installed on the hard drive, this computer is still licensed, right?
ANSWER. Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your computer and maintain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software, with the exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard. An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal computer." Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from one computer to another. Therefore, if the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect then a new computer has been created, the original license expires, and a new full operating system license (not upgrade) is required. This is true even if the computer is covered under Software Assurance or other Volume License programs.

12. If I upgrade some of my PC components, do I have to purchase a new operating system?
ANSWER. The answer depends on the components that are upgraded or changed in the PC. The operating system licenses must remain with the device that retains the motherboard, chipsets, and chassis that include the serial number of the device. The operating system may be installed on a new/replacement hard drive as long as the operating system is first removed from the old hard drive.

Please refer to the section on “Modifications to hardware and how they affect the activation status of Windows XP” in the following link for a more detailed explanation regarding specific hardware changes. The same hardware component changes that can be made to a PC before requiring re-activation of Windows XP are the same changes that can be made before a PC is considered to be “new” - and when a new license for OEM software is required.

If replacing the motherboard, then it looks like you need a new OEM license.

PS. http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/e/3/4e3eace0-4c6d-4123-9d0c-c80436181742/OSLicQA.doc

LunarMist

I have another unused copy of the OS. How can I use that one to reactivate the first installation?

ddrueding

Fixture
Just call them up and have them give you a new authorization. If you want to be absolutely legal and not bother them, do a repair install using the new disk and code. Apps should still run.

Stinker

What is this storage?
I've swapped out motherboards on an OEM install before. If it asks you to reactivate, just call MS and tell them you had a hardware failure and the motherboard had to be replaced. They will give you a new code w/o problem just like ddrueding said.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It helps if you're swapping out one board for an identical one.
One of the tricks of dealing with activation is to install a PCI/PCIe NIC and have that as the interface that's connected to the internet when you actually activate. MAC address counts for some ridiculously high portion of the "score" that's calculated for hardware when Windows is activated. Since most PCs use onboard network hardware a motherboard change almost always means reactivation, unless you've carried over the same MAC address.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
That's a good tip, I knew the MAC counted for the score but not about the particular NIC that is in use.

Stinker

What is this storage?
I remember some of the old NF2 motherboards I had allowed me to specify the MAC address in the BIOS. Not sure if more recent systems allow that.