Request for increase to edit posts!

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
I'm on dial-up, it's very slow, but maybe it's the updated software, or the new server, bogging down for some reason? I posted, the post showed up fulled loaded on the page, in about 30sec. I noticed I left out a word in a sentence, immediately hit edit button, got the edit window, entered the word, all in less than a minute since clicking on the submit post originally. I hit the 'save' button, and got the damned spinning what-chu-ma-call-it thingy, and then the post never updated, just stuck on the spinning thing for minutes and minutes until I closed the window.

Can you at least change the edit window time frame to something a little longer, like 3 minutes, 5 would be much better for me?

TIA

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I agree, even ten minutes wouldn't be out of line and still serve the purpose of preserving posts.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Another vote for increasing the edit time. Sometimes by the time I reread my submitted posts I find an error I didn't catch during preview but can't fix it. I think at least 15 minutes would be sufficient.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I don't like that idea. My preference is for no editing at all. Since editing is allowed the window should be kept short to minimize responses based on the original content.

ddrueding

Fixture
As far as I can tell, the reason for editing is to fix corrections. The reason against editing is to prevent someone from retroactively changing their position. Am I correct?

I don't believe we have had any abuse, and I'm sure my posts are more legible since editing has been enabled. Then again, the edit window is long enough for my needs.

I think 10-15 minutes is too long, considering that active threads move much faster than that. It's a shame there isn't a setting on the edit window that allows edits until someone else has viewed the post. Barring that, 5 minutes seems safe.

Handruin

Administrator
udaman, as it stands now (and as it has been since we've been using vbulletin), the forum is configured for a 5 minute edit window (I just checked the settings). The new server has seemed much faster to me over the old one and I think a few have also agreed on this. I know it's still possible there were performance issues.

I don't think anyone here has harped about spelling mistakes and things like that. Hell, LOST never spells more than one or two words correctly in a post and we still communicate with him fine.

I agree that many of the threads move rather quickly and that making the edit time longer opens a hole for miscommunication in the event of an edited post.

If there are posts you feel strongly that require editing, please PM me, or coming soon you can PM moderators (yes I will still be enabling a few people for this).

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I also had the page go 'out to lunch' when I tried to edit a post. I'm on broadband, so it wasn't a slow connection.

Bozo :joker:

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I'm firmly against increasing the edit time allowance. There's a "preview" button : use it. If you hit submit by accident, live with it. It happened to many before.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I have seen fora where posts are infinitely editable until there is a reply. I think that's generally a good policy.

Whether that's implementable here, is a different story.

Stereodude

Not really a
Firefox has a built in spell checker. You shouldn't need any edit time to make sure you don't have misspelled words. Now, missing words or grammar mistakes... that's another issue.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Firefox has a built in spell checker. You shouldn't need any edit time to make sure you don't have misspelled words.
We can't exactly force everyone to use a better browser. Certainly, I'm sometimes too lazy to fix my mistakes.

paugie

Storage is cool
There are times when at the heat of the moment, one doesn't think of using the preview button.

Also, there are times when mistakes are hidden from you, even when you re-read your post before hitting the submit button. That's usually why magazines, etc. have editors since many authors are often blind to their errors.

What usually happens to me is that, I see what mistakes I have made after I have "submitted" the post, even after I have tried "previewing" it.

I suggest 10 minutes.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Service tech checked again, I'm 15,000ft from the CO. He told me where he lives it's the same problem with poor quality cooper lines (just 1/2 mile away, the 'competitor' Verizon has fiber optic lines under the major streets :( ), so he went with more expensive cable broadband.

For a time I could edit posts, no more, I clicked on edit, did a single character edit, hit 'save' no more than 20 seconds in all, still would not work :(. Time to edit, needs to be increased to 10 minutes!

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Ok, something is wrong with the forum software. Handy, the latest update must have gone back to default, no editing of posts mode.

I just hit the submit reply button, with my slow internet dialup connection, the post took no more than 20 seconds to load/display, I noticed the bold face article titles for the links I provided, don't CutNPaste, it comes out blank (gif images?). So I hit edit post *immediately*, re-CnP the boldface type, hit save button (not advanced mode) *immediately*, and the damn thing just sits there with a spinning wheel next to the 'save' button, wtf??? There isn't even a 1 minute time to edit posts now. sux royally!

Handruin

Administrator
I checked again and the edit time is still set for 5 minutes. There are new updates for vbulletin that I will install that may have corrected some of these issues. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get to it this week, but I'm off next week so I might have some time.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
I checked again and the edit time is still set for 5 minutes. There are new updates for vbulletin that I will install that may have corrected some of these issues. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get to it this week, but I'm off next week so I might have some time.

Well it was less than 5 minutes when I tried my latest post edit, though I was able to edit a post previously if I hit submit in less than 10 seconds, lol. Are you sure that 5 minutes isn't somehow counting 5 seconds instead ;) ?

The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 5 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the administrator to make alterations on your message.
Alright since I had a problem, lets see if I can do the edit I wanted to do here, instead of the Tilt/shit flower lens thread :).

test #1,

1. Will it work for less than one minute?

Edit below:

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1364

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1362

http://www.lighthound.com/Nyogel.html

==================
Check, took at 56 seconds later.

test #2: less than 3 (2:45 after previous edit) minutes:

Edit again:
====================

That worked :p
test #3 going past 5 minutes from the 1st edit, but just a little after that last one:

at 6min + will the last edit take???

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Ah, so there is a limit there somewhere, I wasn't able to edit much past 6+ minutes. Now I'm not sure where the timing sequence begins, but I'm going to do another test (what I tried to say I was going to do, but it wouldn't let me edit :). do in the last edit above). post this and then wait 4 minutes and 30 seconds, and then attempt to do a super quick edit, hit 'save' button just 10 seconds later, so it's well within the 5 minute time frame after hitting the 'submit reply' seeing as how it only takes about 10sec. for my post to take ATM.

Just goes to show you I can't keep time well, hitting save @ 10 sec. before limit

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Edit: Whew! I hit 'save' @1sec before the 5 minute limit was set to expire...that's calling it close :D....
it's now just 7 min past when I'm hitting save again

^^^
LOL, that didn't work, was supposed to be in the prior post, so 7 minutes after initial try UR SOL! But at least the 1st time period went right to the 5 minute buzzer :p- which I guess proves I just can't keep track of time when I'm hurriedly trying to edit in a link/ and or image I forgot to post. Either that or vBul just doesn't like me and selectively/randomly alters that amount of time to edit, just to fook with my mind :D.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Perhaps if your posts were not so overly complex, disjointed and lengthy, it would possible to meet the 5-minute requirement.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If there were classes where we could send Uda so he would write posts more like yours, sechs, I would pay to send him to them.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Some folks here are reading them. Maybe you could just pay for a reasonable synopsis?