Resize a PDF?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
A client of mine has a plotter. An enormously expensive, two month old , 48" wide plotter. They use the plotter to print blueprints, sometimes, and posters.
At least, that was the plan.

They have gobs more money than sense and no one there actually knows how to use the plotter. Or much of anything else for that matter.

What they're doing right now to print blueprints is opening them in Corel Draw version 7, which was probably made in about 1998, and re-sizing the PDF to fit the width of their page (48"). This makes something that looks like stretched out ass, and is especially bad for blueprints. They are doing this in Corel Draw 7 because it's the only thing their "graphics guy" knows how to use.

I suspect there's a better way to do this. I don't really know, since everyone else I know who has a plotter is just printing CAD stuff on it.

If I had any particular motivation, I guess I could download various graphics packages and try them, but I don't, especially since doing so might bring me in to contact with Adobe products. Therefore, rather than doing any research into the subject, I'm just going to ask those of you who putz around with graphics software more than I do if there's any particular package that's better for scaling and re-sizing PDFs.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I'll ask the really dumb question:

Does their printer driver have the ability to scale? If so, then simply scale it to 48" (or scale to fit paper width there) when trying to print the pdf without the Corel conversion process.

An no, I don't off-hand know of an application that will scale pdf files for printing.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
An no, I don't off-hand know of an application that will scale pdf files for printing.

I honestly don't know if it does or not. They're manually re-sizing the dimensions of the images they are printing in Corel Draw. The plotter they're using is an HP 1100T I think.

Plotters are something I never get to play with. Even the customers I have who use them usually have people expert in their use and service contracts specifically for them.

ddrueding

Fixture
Adobe Reader will to it, I think FoxIt will as well. File > Page Setup > Choose the correct paper size > OK. File > Print > Scale to fit media. I was doing it with PDFs to a 48" wide laser printer all day yesterday from Acrobat Reader.

Stereodude

Not really a
Aren't plotters these days just really big inkjets? The days of a true plotter using pens are long over.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I have to admit that it has been a very long time since seeing a pen-based plotter. I really associate the difference between a printer and a plotter is size and using HP-GL (vector graphics) vs. Postscript or dot-based printer language,