Retiring PSU after 10+ Years

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I had my first Seasonic failure this year... a five year old Corsair AX850 that didn't make it through its sixth move.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I like the hardware and all the data in my file server right now and for the cheap price on the new Seasonic I thought it to be a decent investment (especially if the new one lasts 10 years -the length of the warranty on the new one).

Everything is backed up but I would rather invest in a new PSU after 10 years to have a little more reliability with the system. The old one can serve as a spare if the need arises.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Bonus..the system with the new PSU is about 13% more efficient at idle than the old (68 watts at idle instead of 78 ). Not like it will ever pay for itself but it's something

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Bonus..the system with the new PSU is about 13% more efficient at idle than the old (68 watts at idle instead of 78 ). Not like it will ever pay for itself but it's something
The real advantage there is less waste heat to get rid. In a lot of cases it means the PSU fan is either off or turning very slowly. If you have an SSD then this leaves the CPU fan as the only noise source in the machine.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The real advantage there is less waste heat to get rid. In a lot of cases it means the PSU fan is either off or turning very slowly. If you have an SSD then this leaves the CPU fan as the only noise source in the machine.

Yet there can be a disadvantage in that the case ventilation may be worse.