[REVIEW] Samsung Spinpoint SP1203N

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
The Tech Report does a review of the SP1203N, testing it against a WD1200JB, Barracuda V, and DiamondMax Plus 9.
In the end, I was pleasantly surprised with the performance of Samsung's Spinpoint SP1203N. With only 2MB of cache, I certainly didn't expect our Spinpoint SP1203N to fare this well against drives with four times the cache. The fact that Samsung will stand behind the drive for a full three years is comforting, too. If the Spinpoint SP1203N's eventual street price is competitive with comparable drives from Maxtor, Seagate, and Western Digital, I'd have no problem recommending the Spinpoint SP1203N to all but the most performance-hungry enthusiasts.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
LiamC submitted a news about this review for the front page. I don't know who wrote about it first between Buck and LiamC, so Buck gets the honors of the thread and LiamC those for the front page.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
There's something very wrong with the Winbench transfer rate reported in the review for the Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160GB :

winbench-disk.gif

Way too low IMO. It should bust 50Mb/s at the beginning and also be quite a bit higher at the end. Like a Chinese would say : "something wong".

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I read all of Coug's posts. They're absolutely charming, and I see new shades of meaning in what would otherwise be a drab sentence.

Coug, this is a compliment, not a criticism or a flame.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
If I could blush, I would.

Actually, I think the unusual styling figures found in my posts are simply because I poorly translate some french expressions to english. Seldom heard or read the appropriate version, so I compose one of my own. I'm pleased some appreciate the end result :)