Rigging power supplies together?

ddrueding

Fixture
See attached image.

I currently have a Seasonic 700W PSU that I am very happy with. Except for the fact that my system is currently maxing out at 699W while behaving in a slightly unstable way. Event manager is showing random drive spin-downs and IO errors. I suspect I have pushed this PSU too far.

The question is whether I should get a larger PSU or get a second PSU and rig them together somehow. This second option is attractive as I already have an Antec 500W that would fit the bill.

Has anyone here tried to wire PSUs in parallel? Set one to power on from the trigger on the second? Even if one of them is set to "always on" and is controlled by a manual switch, that would work fine, too.

I don't know why I am using many short sentances. I just am. And I haven't had my caffine today.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Antec offers a case with dual power supplies in it. The web page mentions a connector for contoling the two power supplies. Maybe you could purchase this connector?
A while back I did see an article some where of how to connect two power supplies together. Maybe Google would help.

Bozo :joker:

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
There's nothing inherently wrong with a multiple PSU setup as long as you segregate the components properly. For instance, I would put motherboard & on-board cards with extra power demands (PCI-E graphics cards, for instance) on one PSU. Off-board components like HDs, opticals, and fans could go on another. That should work fine in case there are any timing issues with power availability on startup. Besides, you could separately power up the HD/fan PSU, wait a couple of seconds, then power up the mobo/PCI-E PSU. The devices should just wait for the system to talk to them with no ill effects.

Or, get this.

ddrueding

Fixture

Tempted, but I really want to avoid this.

I need 15 SATA power connectors, only 4 Molex, 1 6-pin PCI-E, 1 8-pin Motherboard, and the larger ATX connection. What I had to do with the Seasonic was order more SATA modular power cables; if they are wired in I don't have that option.

ddrueding

Fixture
There's nothing inherently wrong with a multiple PSU setup as long as you segregate the components properly. For instance, I would put motherboard & on-board cards with extra power demands (PCI-E graphics cards, for instance) on one PSU. Off-board components like HDs, opticals, and fans could go on another. That should work fine in case there are any timing issues with power availability on startup. Besides, you could separately power up the HD/fan PSU, wait a couple of seconds, then power up the mobo/PCI-E PSU. The devices should just wait for the system to talk to them with no ill effects.

That was my thought, I was even thinking of experimenting with powering off the 12 750GB HDDs and 3 120mm fans that drive them when I don't need the data array (gaming, surfing, whatever). Not sure how the OS would like it, but it's worth looking into.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't think ganging two supplies up in parallel is a good idea; most certainly current will flow from one to the other with strange consequences. I'm no expert, jtr can describe this better. You're better off using two the way Fushigi described.

ddrueding

Fixture
I don't think ganging two supplies up in parallel is a good idea; most certainly current will flow from one to the other with strange consequences. I'm no expert, jtr can describe this better. You're better off using two the way Fushigi described.

In essence, that is what the cable Bozo linked to does. The only cables that cross are the ones to power the PSU up and down (take a look at the zoomed picture). All other rails are not connected.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I too think that cable is a good idea but only if you can fit a second PS in your case. Typically, a case that can fit two PS's is a speciallity item. You can always try drilling some holes, if you've got the space inside, but be careful with the metal shavings.

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
If you use two separate PSUs, remember that most (the vast majority) require a minimum load for each of the various voltage rails.

If you want a more elegant solution, PC Power and Cooling will customize the output cabling of their standard supplies. It used to be a reasonable fee (like $50 or so), but I haven't looked into the prices in a long time.

Mark: I think he is still using his custom wood duct-like case...

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!

Generally the second power supply is not in parallel; it is used to power other devices. IE: One power supply for the motherbaord and the other for the hard drives.
There is no interconnection between the two.

Bozo :joker:

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I think Dave had a giant piece of plywood attached to the wall or something which was his "case". If I could convince my girlfriend that that was a good idea I might do it too.

ddrueding

Fixture
For those curious as to how I can add power supplies without worrying about space, just check my sig.

timwhit, just show your GF the last picture on my sig...it looks pretty!

Handruin

Administrator
What is the primary use for the SSD array and are they noticeably fast?

ddrueding

Fixture
They are for the OS and most commonly used apps. Currently on the array are:

Vista x64
GRID (driving simulator)
Photoshop CS3
Firefox
PTGui
Photomatix
Canon DPP
Winamp

With the exceptions of the top three, everything else is very small and loads very fast. The rest of the heavy apps (Office, other games) go on the RAID-0 of Raptors. The Raptors actually do have a better sustained speed, but of course the access time is more important on smaller programs. It is very noticeable, Vista boot times and Photoshop load times are very small.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have to say that I like having Server 2008 on my SSD-equipped notebook a lot better than Vista. It still feels sluggish to me compared to Server 2003, but there's a lot less weird pauses and Explorer crashes, and unlike Vista, all the power management features work on my notebook the way they're supposed to.

I don't know about you, ddrueding, but MSDN gave me 1500 installs of Server 2008 on every one of the logins I have for it.

ddrueding

Fixture
My MSDN expired right before Server 2008 :( otherwise I would be all over it. I would still be on XP Pro, but for needing >4GB of RAM and >2TB partitions.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I have to say that I like having Server 2008 on my SSD-equipped notebook a lot better than Vista. It still feels sluggish to me compared to Server 2003, but there's a lot less weird pauses and Explorer crashes, and unlike Vista, all the power management features work on my notebook the way they're supposed to.

I don't know about you, ddrueding, but MSDN gave me 1500 installs of Server 2008 on every one of the logins I have for it.

Imagine. A server OS that has better power management than a consumer OS. Way to go, MS!

I should check to see what an MSDN sub goes for here. I'm really jealous of you Merc.

Mercutio

Microsoft had "Student Edition" Action Packs for $100 a couple months back. I bought four and was in the process of buying a fifth when the offer was rescinded. :D

Yes, Server 2008 has to be activated. There are two different activation schemes, depending on the licenses you're using. One is a standard XP-like web based activation and the other uses a license server that won't go online and distribute licenses at all until you have 10 physical machines with Server 2008. I've used both schemes. The activation server was a PITA to set up.

The grace period is 30 days and I believe it can be rearmed. Server 2008 installs with no key for EVERYONE to begin with. You change your key to whatever license you're using after the fact.

Anyway, whether or not an MSDN sub is worth more than an Action Pack depends entirely on how much you like being able to work with Volume Licensed copies of software.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
One thing of note. I don't know about MSDN, but the Action Pack is a subscription-based license. Meaning, if you let your subscription lapse, by not renewing, you are supposed to cease using all the software from the Action Pack. So, instead of licensing the software at a fixed price, the price is technically $300/year.

One year I let my subscription lapse, and they did contact me, telling me to cease using their products. I simply renewed, and that was the end of that.

Mercutio

The fact of the matter is that when you renew, you're issued new product keys, every year. This is true for both MSDN and Action Pack subs. If you're strictly worried about legality, in theory you should be switching to new installs with new keys.

No thanks.

Also in reality, if you've printed out or saved your old keys, you'll find that they continue to work to install software and activate normally.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I have never been given new keys with each renewal. I only get new keys when they send out something new.

ddrueding

Fixture
For the record, all I did was short the green wire to a ground on an Antec Earthwatts 500W and it is now controlled by input power (always on). It took the load of a dozen drives and is doing a great job. I'll be putting together a new related thread soon.

Thanks for all the advice!

ddrueding

Fixture
DD is now a certified EE (sorry, couldn't resist that).

Well, certifiable at least. ;)

EE was actually what I did before computers. I had a full-time job designing/prototyping control circuits for RS-232 interfaces in high school (that was 10+ years ago...holy crap).