RIP

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
On July 27th at 10:14AM my parents and I watched my brother take his last breath @ the age of 46 years. He was essentially brain dead except for the most primitive functions that kept his heart beating, until we had to put an end to it. It's a process I'll never forget.

He went out in a way that pretty much defines his life. Out drinking with his motorcycle club buddies, he had about 4-5 beers before heading out to the next watering hole. On the way to the next bar, he decided to show his friends how fast is 2008 Buell 1125R was and could not stop before colliding with one of his fellow riders. The bikes were somewhat damaged but not terribly, the impact was relatively low speed (~25MPH)...he almost stopped. Nobody else was hurt, thank god, but he broke a scapula, 5 ribs and a collar bone. That would have been fine but he also fell off and hit his half helmet/head on the ground which caused severe trauma to his brain.

It was a long hard week filled with hope early on and then despair. His finances were a mess and he ended up leaving basically nothing except his life insurance policy to his two sons, 20 & 23, who he never really was a father to, IMO. This left my parents to take care of his estate and try to get back the $20K they had loaned to him over the years even though he had a good paying UAW job. He could never pay back the loans but he always had $ for motorcycle toys (the Buell, a VTX1800C, a V65 Magna, and a V-Max). My parents were stupid for 'loaning' him anything but he was a stupid, selfish...asshole. That's how he always was to his family. But his motorcycle 'brothers' talked about him like he was the second coming or something. What a double life.

Things are almost wrapped up now. I'm over it, for sure. But I feel better after sharing it with you guys.

ddrueding

Fixture
I am sorry to hear that, but I suppose there are many silver linings there. The kids are old enough to be able to survive on their own and he didn't take anyone else with him. I knew quite a few people like that, but they were all dead or smarter by the time they were 30-35.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm also sorry to hear about this. Whenever I read about people who lived their lives like that, then die suddenly, I think what might have been had they lived long enough to finally realized the error of their ways and make amends with their family. At least he didn't leave behind any young children.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm sorry too. Regardless of the type of person he was, this kind of thing is always hard on the survivors. My condolences to you, your and his family.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Some people live their entire lives in the shadow of personal demons and never find peace. I seem to recall you saying he had serious health issues, which may have contributed to his 'living for the moment'.

In any case, he was a son, brother and father, and a human being. Commiserations to you and your family.

Handruin

Administrator
Sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. That's a short life to live, but he lived it doing what he felt best for his life. It sounds like you had a lot more to deal with than just his passing. None of that sounds pleasant and on top of it having to decide what would be the long term support for his life (if at all). You and your family obviously made the tough choice for him and sadly his actions put you all in a place which required you to do so. Colliding on a bike at 25MPH actually seems fast to me. I guess any bike collision is never going to end well. I'm glad that he didn't hurt anyone else in the process. Without meaning any disrespect, I've heard and read several cases the reasons why some riders don't even wear their helmets is to avoid this situation where they are legally brain dead but their body is still living. It's hard to say if a full helmet would have been any different, but it won't make a difference at this point.

Even though you say you're over the event, it sounds like you are still bothered by it (and rightfully so). I hope over time things do get better for you and your family. I wouldn't be so harsh on your parents for loaning him the money. He was their kid, just like you are to them. He wasn't perfect, but they still cared for him. It's always possible that you will be presented with a similar situation some day with your kid. I'm guessing you would do anything for him. :-/ Best wishes to you and your family.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Sorry, sounds like a bad experience all the way through.