Ripping Audio to FLAC

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I haven't ripped a CD in decades. What's currently the best way to rip entire audio CDs to FLAC? I want to feed the CD, fire off the ripper and have a bunch of flac files at the end of the process. It's too tedious to rip one track at a a time.

I'd also like to rip sections of DVD audio to FLAC. These sections will be selectable in the DVD as separate chapters.

Thanks.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm pretty sure that Exact Audio Copy is still the way to go. If you wan't truly bit-perfect rips I believe you need an optical drive with a specific feature set. I'm sure SD will be around with the details.

Handruin

Administrator
Stereodude covered this about a year ago and it's buried in a post here. His first post covers the basics for MP3 but the post directly under it shows the changes for doing FLAC conversions. I I've used his method for all my CDs and it works well. It's basically what ddrueding suggested with a little more detail.

Handruin

Administrator

fb

Storage is cool
I've only used EAC and I think it's fine, but I would probably go with dbPoweramp if I would rip my CD collection today. The biggest problem with EAC is the amount of available settings, and what happens if you get something wrong. One maker of high end music reproduction system even supplied a settings file for EAC to get the most out of it.

The same manufacturer of music reproduction systems have also listed and compared the most common ripping programs around.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
My bad with respect to DVD Audio.

What I really meant was that I wanted to rips bit of music out of DVD movies. I guess that changes the game somewhat.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Haven't tried to rip audio from music DVDs yet. Tried EAC ripping a CD to FLAC. Looks like EAC is a rat's nest of config options. Trawled the net and did some reading, configured as best I could. I'm out of time, that's the problem.

Leaving on a long trip Christmas day and wanted to get the rips done by then. Maybe I'll just have my daughter rip to her IPOD, screw the quality. The intent is to play it back through the car's audio system.

I'll fine-tune the rips for archival quality once I'm back and have the time to do it.

Thanks.