Room heating solutions...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Well, it's 55 degrees right now, and, it was a bit chilly.
Rather then turn on a heater, I crank up the Athlon 3000, with 850 HIS card, and external venting, along with a couple quiet, but good size 120mm fans, and, a squirrel fan right next to the video card, just in case. I run FAH on it, with the monitor on, and, the room temp comes up nicely.

Not to mention dual xeons, and, the extra fans I've put in to get the heat away from the xeons, and, the 800 XL, seem to work, quite well. Vantec, not real noisey, but not silent, and, they are darn good heaters....I've also got a squirrel blower in a pci slot in the Xeon box, next to the video card, and, it blows hot air well enough to keep the cat happy, on cold days.

FAH loves this solution...

Greg

S

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I don't use any heat in winter; It all comes from my computers folding. However, in the summer, it can get hot and if necessary I just shut off any unecessary machines and open up the windows, for a few days, to keep comfortable.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Those Zeons are good for everything, eh? ;)

Of course if you are dying in the summer heat (108-110 °F) and electricity rates have gone through the roof, it does not seem like a good idea. :(

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
We are in what is really a glorified desert. It's 55 degrees right now, after being 85 today. If the wind blows off the ocean, it stays cool. If it doesn't, it's over 100, or high 90's.

Last night I had the windows open, and it was way cooler then I thought it was, and, with wind chill, I needed the heat.

Otherwise, I'm slowly climbing the FAH ladder...

Greg

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
We are putting in a new IBM blade server at work. Twenty eight P4 3.6GHz processors in a 9U chassis. 2900W PSU. The heat these things blow out is unbelievable.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Pradeep: Where do you live?
You certainly don't need heating in that room...

Greg

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Rochester, NY.

It's in a datacenter, so cooling isn't too much of an issue. Bigger problem is the power density, i.e. for this machine we have three 240V 30Amp runs (three PSUs). At a certain stage you just run out of available power.

ddrueding

Fixture
Pradeep said:
We are putting in a new IBM blade server at work. Twenty eight P4 3.6GHz processors in a 9U chassis. 2900W PSU. The heat these things blow out is unbelievable.

Blades are incredible in their power density. I'm using 1U Dual-Dual-Core Opterons these days, even half a rack full of these will need it's own AC unit.