Russian Online Computer Store?

ddrueding

Fixture
I need to buy some tech gadgets for my relatives in Moscow, and they aren't up for the task. I could buy them here and ship them myself, but I suspect that there is a more cost-effective option.

Does anyone know of an online computer store (like Newegg) that ships to Moscow?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Most US based stores will be highly hesitant to ship to Russia due to the credit card fraud rates. If they did in fact ship, chances are they would use a type of UPS expedited mail that would far exceed the value of shipped contents. Plus brand new = possible excise at customs. That plus you would be surprised how much taxes many Euro states charge in terms of VAT, for the initial purchase.

My advise: Buy here and ship yourself. You could open the items and then it would be used computer parts in the customs declaration.

Handruin

Administrator
Not to mention you could possibly test the parts since you'll need to open them and that gives you even less of a problem if it gets over there and it doesn't work. Then you'll be paying out the nose on phone support calls. ;-)

Last edited:

ddrueding

Fixture
Considering the first thing they are getting is a netbook preloaded with Skype to supplement the existing computer (that I installed Skype on the last time I was there), I'm hoping that they will be able to point one towards the other when things go wrong. Their ISP actually provides direct WiFi to the apartment (with >50% uptime!), so there is no infrastructure to worry about.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
You have relatives in Moscow??? What do people usually do for computers there? It's not like trying to find the right DVD-RAM in Papua.

ddrueding

Fixture
You have relatives in Moscow??? What do people usually do for computers there? It's not like trying to find the right DVD-RAM in Papua.

My wife's entire family lives there. Just like everything else, city squares full of 10'x10' tents selling everything. No warranty, haggling prices for everything. The only proper stores I found are American and European brands at really amazing markups. A Murcielago costs 5x what it does here, and you have to pay in cash, because there is no credit to speak of. A Canon XSi was about $2k. It is one of the most expensive (and the most backwards and corrupt) cities in the world.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Oh, in-laws. I never thought of them as relatives. :D Nor would they of me I suspect.