Samsung drive vibration

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Despite FDB, the handful of Samsung drives I have bought have usually exhibited excessive vibration. When mounted with grommets, they can really become annoying; the last PC I built actually vibrates tonally from time to time.:evil:

I'm also less than convinced about their reliability, having had to return more than my fair share. I can see where WD might have had some unreliable models, but I wonder whether Samsung is really any better than Hitachi or Seagate?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I've replaced more Seagates than WDs, percentage wise.
I have not replaced any IBM/Hitachi hard drives because of failures. (even my 75GXPs are still running)
The 8 Maxtors I installed 5+ years ago are still running.

All of the above hard drives run 24/7/365.

Bozo :joker:

ddrueding

Fixture
The Seagates that I'm running I'm happy with. Any time I build a workstation where noise is an issue and capacity is not, I use a 2.5" HDD. They don't cost much for 80GB and noise/heat simply aren't issues.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
time, have you tried enabling AAM on your Samsung drives? I had some issues with vibration on my Samsung drives on the PC that sits next to my bed; turning on the silent mode seemed to fix the issue for me.
The PC is technically slower, but not in any way that I can subjectively tell.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Perfect timing - thanks, guys. After sitting on the decision for as long as I could, I ordered two Sammys from Newegg Sunday night. And then this thread!