Samsung HDD running at 110F/43C?

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm sure the drive is fine; I'm just putting it into a system with no case fans. I just finished doing a series of mods to the case, now there is only the 120mm exaust fan in the PS and a 92mm panaflo on the CPU. Temps are as follows:

CPU: 113F/45C
GPU: 113F/45C
HDD: 110F/43C
Ambient: 75F/24C

The ambient in the case is the same as the rest of the room; there's just not much airflow past the components. This system is silent :D

If the temp is borderline, I'm OK with that as I'm sure to replace it within a year. I just don't want it dying next week.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Sounds a little toasty to me. Why not install a large temperature controlled fan in the rear of the case? Low RPM and silent.

Bozo :mrgrn:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That's about 5 degrees warmer than any Samsung drive I have, and a lot of mine are sandwiched five in a row in cases with no active drive cooling.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
Is the drive hard-mounted, or laying on a piece of foam on the bottom of the case?

That seems really hot for a Samsung. You sure it's not a Seagate? :lol: :wink:

Cheers,

Jan

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Your temps seem inline with my experiences. Please note that Samsung's temp monitor for SMART is way off. If you want an accurate reading you have to use an expternal probe.

For example, my Samsung 160GB SP1614N shows a temp of 60F... my case temp is ~85F and the room temp is around 76F. The samsung drive is HOTTER to the touch than my Hitachi 180GXP which reports a temp of 96F.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
blakerwry said:
I believe you are referring to the maximum ambient temperature while the drive is operating..

Nope. That is the Maximum temperature value that should be read at the thermalcouple location on the baseplate of the drive. However, sustained operation of temperatures exceeding 50C/122F will degrade the MTBF rating on the drive.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
blakerwry said:
can you show me the documentation that states that from WD?

Get your hands on a Technical Reference Manual for the WD360GD, page 12. Page 13 has a nice diagram illustrating how the drive should be cooled.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
blakerwry said:
Please note that Samsung's temp monitor for SMART is way off. If you want an accurate reading you have to use an expternal probe.

That's not my experience. My 1614N usually reads exactly the same as the 7k250 that sits directly above it in the case. Both temperatures are appropriate.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
sechs said:
blakerwry said:
Please note that Samsung's temp monitor for SMART is way off. If you want an accurate reading you have to use an expternal probe.

That's not my experience. My 1614N usually reads exactly the same as the 7k250 that sits directly above it in the case. Both temperatures are appropriate.

I only have 1 Samsung drive, but I base my statement on my experience and from atleast a couple posts on SR.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I've never heard of temperature reading issues before. Maybe these are the "my RAID 0 suxorz" threads that I don't read?

ddrueding

Fixture
Jan Kivar was one of the contributors this great thread over at SPCR about drive temperatures.

The part that I've gotten to so far:

dukla2000 @ SPCR said:
But your notes did make me recheck the 7200.7 Sata specs (Publication number: 100270024, Rev. C) which has under Reliability (pg 21) "Mean time between failures (MTBF) 600,000 power-on hours (nominal power, 25�C ambient temperature)". (My emphasis) I am sure the error rate degradation numbers you quote are used to 'normalise' the temperature induced aging. So the following may be misuse of correct data for an incorrect purpose, but what the hell Twisted Evil

600000 hours @ 25C becomes
264000 hours @ 45C and
120000 hours @ 65C

Now the probability of no failure during a 5 year life become
0.93 @ 25C
0.85 @ 45C and
0.69 @ 65C

And presumably the probability at 65C is starting to be 'significantly low' which is why they spec the environment max as 60C? Now if these stats are 'meaningful' then for every 100 systems delivered, a system builder can expect between 7 and 30 hdd failures in 5 years (depending on the ambient temps): any builders out there with any records of failures?