Samsung Products

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Lately, I've been buying and selling more and more Samsung products. Besides being competitive with their pricing, I'm beginning to enjoy their products. Most of what I’m selling from Samsung is their HDDs, FDD’s, and CD-ROM Drives. I also list them as my primary source for monitors. My next step will be to test their CDR-W products, but I’m guessing that they should work just fine.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Have their optical drives improved at all? Last time I used one (2-3 years ago) they were horrible. And incapable of properly ripping an audio CD.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
NRG = mc² said:
Have their optical drives improved at all? Last time I used one (2-3 years ago) they were horrible. And incapable of properly ripping an audio CD.

Buck is going to buy some CDR-Ws today to check out their writing capabilities. Their CD-ROMs are nice. Besides performing pretty well like most products, the tray opens and closes smoothly and not too fast (but not as slow as some Plextors).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The main Samsung products I buy are their monitors. I started by using their IFT lineup and now I mostly use their DF (DynaFlat) models. The 900NF has been one of the best value among semi-high-end monitors over the last year and a half. Now, it's starting to show its age a bit more and other monitors from the competition are better. Especially the all recent Viewsonic P90F (not the old one, the new one with the 0.24mm unvariable aperture grill with a 265MHz bandwidth).

Samsung has started to sell their new 959NF in Asia, but it still isn't avaailable here in North America. It should be a very good monitor and hopefully, they won't sell it for a lot more than their current 900NF so it should be a very interesting offering.

I read many reviews about their burners and only one of them was a true success. I don't remember if it was their 32x or 40x model though. You'll have to a) run your own tests and/or b) browse the reviews at CDRLabs.com and CDR-Info.com.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Correction : I don't use their DynaFlat lineup but their Natural Flat lineup (NF instead of DF). The Samsung DynaFlat use the same CRT as the old IFT lineup, except that the monitors are equipped with lower electronic controllers/filters than in the past IFT models. The NF are better, but dearer.

GMac

Learning Storage Performance
Their monitors are pretty decent , from what I've seen - their NF models offer reasonable value for money and good picture quality. Their optical drives meanwhile aren't bad either - we got a batch of P4 workstations that had them fitted (52X reader, 24X/10X CDRW) and so far they've performed well (quiet & reasonably quick). I don't think their audio extraction rates are anything to write home about, but then I do all mine on a Plextor 40TSi at home (which is much more suitable :D ), but for general tasks (software installs, burning etc) they're perfectly capable bits of kit, and none too pricy either. Only product I haven't had recent eperience with are their HDDs (I had a 4GB one a few years back that's still going strong in a friend's K6-266 based box though, so I can't grumble too much).

GM

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
My notebook has a Samsung SN-308B DVD/CD-RW combo drive. It only burns at 8x, which is fine for the light usage I'll put it to. No problems so far, but I haven't done much burning with it. DVDs play fine. I haven't done any DAE with it. No problems with any CD/R media, which has been most of what I use it for.

The Samsung LCD monitors seem to preety good. My fiancee's 570TFT (IIRC) is doing fine. No bad pixels at all after 15 months & 1 move.

- Fushigi

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Samsung, like most of the really big companies, make a wide range of stuff, ranging from the excellent to the distinctly ordinary.

I haven't played with their monitors for ages, at least not to speak of. For what you get, I think they are a little dear. Their low-end monitors are no better than our Deltas - probably not quite as good - though we use them to cover out of stocks now and then. And their excellent high end monitors are something I tend to ignore in favour of Mitsubushi ones.

I have yet to see a Samsung LCD that wasn't spot on, though I haven't looked at them lately.

Samsung hard drives: well, guess I don't have to say too much about these. Simply the best IDE drives money can buy: very cheap, fast enough, incredibly reliable.

Samsung optical drives, on the other hand, have traditionally been crap. Last time I tried Samsung CD readers they were (I think) 48 speed, though they may have been 52s. It was perhaps a year ago, or a little less. They were flimsy looking, the trays didn't slide nicely, they were terribly slow, and they had great difficulty in reading any disc that wasn't absolutely 100% perfect. With burnt discs they were dreadful. We ended up using the entire box of ten (I'm not sure if Kristi had to RMA some or not - I'll ask her) but not in front line systems. We saved them for people we didn't like.

Oddly enough, their DVD drives seem to work just fine. In fact we have sold quite a number of the Samsung 12X and now 16x DVD drives with perfect satisfaction. I trust them a good deal more than I trust those Pioneer things. Pioneer still seem to have trouble getting their electronics right. They are like Zip drives: always give you a back-of-the-mind worry that they won't be compatible with your other IDE devices.

Finally, keyboards. For ages we messed about looking for a good quality keyboard to replace our Honeywells when they became impossible to get. (Honeywell = rebadged Keytronics.) We went through a half dozen different brands, looking for something that had good feel and didn't cost a fortune. Eventually diiscovered the Samsungs: superb feel, equal to the AU$27 Honeywells, and they are about AU$15 a pop. (That's 10pcs ex-tax pricing.) We love them.

For opticals though, we are using 100% Mitsubushi drives - except for DVDs, which we sell very few of and are staying with the Samsungs because we don't sell enough of them to make it worth my while to chase around looking for an alternative.

Maybe Buck's Samsung CD drives are a new model - I doubt that he would like those crappy things we had. Or indeed any of the various crappy Samsung CD readers we have been seeing every now and then right back to 8-speed days.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
The CD-ROM model is SC-152. These smooth-gliding trays remind me of the old Sony 8x models. Not only do the trays glide with ease, there are no rough sounds from the gears as I get with Creative or Sony 52x models.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Wonder of all wonders I've just realized that I've been using a Samsung 48E (SC-148) CD drive for a week.

The only thing I've done with it is listen to CDs. I've played 15 different CDs on it, all factory pressed, and it only had trouble with one. I don't really know what the problem is. It acts like there are scratches on the disk; but the surface looks as pristene as one band new.

I bought this one in particular because it was black.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Funny that - Creative CD drives have been made for them by Samsung for a long, long time - ever since they ditched their wonderful rebadged Pansonic-manufactured 2X drives. And Creative drives, ever since then, have been marginally salable crap, of course. Still, if the new Samsung readers are now decent at long last, one would assume that Creative would immediately get themselves a new supplier!

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
The only drive I have to compare the Samsung unit against is a Creative 52Xmx. It has done very well for me. So well in fact that I completely forgot to take notes.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Yes, Buck just sold his last Creative and got a box of Samsungs in. He had to look a second time when the tray door opened, and a small smirk came to his face - and that's dinkie die, I swear. It is amazing how such little things make a difference to him.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Cliptin said:
I don't really know what the problem is. It acts like there are scratches on the disk; but the surface looks as pristene as one band new.

That is exactly the sort of thing that our lot of Samsung drives did, Cliptin. Probably the same model. On burnt discs they were hopeless.

yeti

What is this storage?
Tea said:
Samsung, like most of the really big companies, make a wide range of stuff, ranging from the excellent to the distinctly ordinary.

Samsung hard drives: well, guess I don't have to say too much about these. Simply the best IDE drives money can buy: very cheap, fast enough, incredibly reliable.

I am surprised that Tea or one of his alter egos has not yet spotted that Samsung announced delivery of the first 60GB/p to hit the market:

http://www.samsungelectronics.com/hdd/

Actually they seem to have announced it last March at Cebit (albeit very discreetly) and are now delivering

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Quite right, Yeti. She's very slack. However I noticed that Westan (the Australian Samsung distributor, who also do WD, Epox and Mitsubushi) have stock already. So far, it seems to be only the SV120014, a 120GB 5400RPM model at a brilliant price, but I daresay others will follow. But I have not ordered one, as the demand for 120GB drives of any speed is exactly zero so far. No doubt there will be a 60GB depop before too long, but I'll really have to wait for the 7200s before we get one that will sell in any volume, unless these end up being substantially cheaper than the 7200s. Right now, it's about $5 more for a 40GB 7200 than it is for a 5400, so we are not bothering to stock 5400s at all.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Tannin said:
Quite right, Yeti. She's very slack. However I noticed that Westan (the Australian Samsung distributor, who also do WD, Epox and Mitsubushi) have stock already. So far, it seems to be only the SV120014, a 120GB 5400RPM model at a brilliant price, but I daresay others will follow. But I have not ordered one, as the demand for 120GB drives of any speed is exactly zero so far. No doubt there will be a 60GB depop before too long, but I'll really have to wait for the 7200s before we get one that will sell in any volume, unless these end up being substantially cheaper than the 7200s. Right now, it's about $5 more for a 40GB 7200 than it is for a 5400, so we are not bothering to stock 5400s at all.

I doubt the 60 GB will be a depop. At a minimum, Samsung will run two prime drives: 120 GB and 60 GB (perhaps one more). From there they'll change the format to hit popular capacity points: 40 GB and 80 GB. Then they'll depop some and make 30 GB 1 platter 1 head, etc. Then they'll combine a reformat and depop to get the most profit without opening the drive at the end of the assembly line.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
My guesses about Samsung CD-RW devices was woefully incorrect. I ordered 3 SW-224 products, and two are bad. The lot is going back, and I'm sticking with my regular NEC CD-RWs.