Samsung SpinPoint 160GB (poor) review.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
At Explosive Labs. There's so many flaws to that review that it's not even worth mentioning them. They used PC Mark, which should tell you enough.

The main reason I link it is to provide a hint of the performances (or lack of) of the upcoming 160GB SpinPoint. Look at the transfer rates, comparable but no better than the Seagate Barracuda ATA V. It scores rather poorly (for a newcomer) in most of the other butchered benchmarks too. So, although this review isn't enough to get a definitive opinion on the latest Samsung drive, I think the trend is pretty clear that it won't be a speed demon. Just "another drive". The positive point is that it carries the famous 3 years warranty.

Bottom line : ok for budget boxes, but look elsewhere for your mainstream systems.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I had no idea it was even possible to get a Samsung drive in a retail box.

Link.

Pricewatch is presently showing $127 for the 5400rpm version of this drive. I hope the 7200rpm version debuts at something close to that price as well. The possibility that the reviewed drive might cost upwards of $150 is somewhat off-putting.

This review reads like a frickin' press release, and not only are they screwing around with PCMark, they also used Sandra, the scarlet "A" for amateur.

Looking at the drives in their comparison, I can't help but notice that the compared drives include an 800BB (looking at its scores in various benchmarks, probably a 40GB/platter one) and a DM9+, which fits into the same general category as *JBs and 180GXPs. Since Maxtor is one of the few manufacturers with a budget 7200rpm part, I think the DM+8 would've be been a better choice for head-to-head comparison (the DM8 is a 40GB drive that uses 1/2 of an 80GB platter).

Anyway, I could be optimistic and suggest we wait for a real review from SR, but since this is a Samsung drive, we know that ain't gonna happen.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Mercutio said:
Anyway, I could be optimistic and suggest we wait for a real review from SR, but since this is a Samsung drive, we know that ain't gonna happen.

What won't happen? SR review the drive, Samsung release the fastest ATA drive available, SR release a real review, or that you're going to be optimistic? :D