Sasser creaor caught

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
See story in Yahoo News.
The economic toll of Sasser may never be known, but it claimed some big scalps, including Germany's Deutsche Post, Britain's coastguard stations and investment bank Goldman Sachs.
Don't these organizations have Sysadmins? We're not talking mom-and-pop outfits here. Jeeze. I never cease to be amazed by this kind of stupidity.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I missed the Sasser thingie. When did it happen? Maybe it's because my cheapo firewall setup + patched OSes weren't affected :roll:

BTW, many computers at the (big) company I work now have been affected by the latest flea that made the screen shut down. I couldn't hide my smile when I saw that.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Between the members of my standard security setup, I didn't notice a thing with either of these. Just goes to show that a little bit goes a long ways.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Yes that's true. Everyone that I've helped with the sasser virus has been told that this kind of attack is completely preventable... for free... without any technical knowldge. Simply go to the windows update site once a month or every 2 weeks and let it decide what updates you need and download them.

Additionally, it's a good idea to enable the winXP firewall for most average users.. this also would protect them against the sasser and blaster viruses and future internet worm attacks.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
mubs said:
See story in Yahoo News.
The economic toll of Sasser may never be known, but it claimed some big scalps, including Germany's Deutsche Post, Britain's coastguard stations and investment bank Goldman Sachs.
Don't these organizations have Sysadmins? We're not talking mom-and-pop outfits here. Jeeze. I never cease to be amazed by this kind of stupidity.
It's easy to admin a dozen computers or so, but think when You have 150+ computers, or even more. Then your average user is so dumb that he/she don't know how to install the fix if You send it via e-mail.

The bigger the company, the longer it takes to install those patches...

Cheers,

Jan