SATA II

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
OT - Doug or moderator, sorry for the inconvinience, but could you please change the thread title to something more descriptive/appropriate then just simply "SATA II", I wasn't thinking when I posted.

----------------------
Interesting notes:

The Gen2i Electrical Specification aims at the desktop and mobile market for Serial ATA drives. The primary consideration in this application is to maintain complete backwards compatibility with existing Serial ATA 1.0a devices. Secondly, the one meter cable and connectors defined in Serial ATA 1.0a shall operate correctly with both Gen1i and Gen2i devices.
The Gen1m/2m Electrical Specifications aim at “Short Backplanes” and External Desktop applications for Serial ATA devices. The primary consideration in this application is to maintain compatibility with Gen1i/2i specifications with the following exceptions. Minimum Transmitter amplitudes are increased and Minimum Receive amplitudes are decreased in order to accommodate additional signal attenuation expected in these applications......Gen1m/2m are defined with the following goals and requirements: Maintains significant compatibility with Serial ATA 1.0a (Gen1i) and Gen2i Electrical Specifications at these newly defined compliance points.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
SAS compatitibilty cautionary statements:

Aims at compatibility with Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) CT and CR specifications wherever possible as long as impact on cost is not significant.
Nothing in this specification changes Serial ATA in order to make Hosts or Devices compliant to any SAS Specification.

The only exception to this last statement is that the Gen1x/Gen2x specifications are based upon the CR/CT specifications of SAS. At the time of release of this specification, the External Data Center Cable/Connector is designed in a manner that allows it to be plugged into a SAS domain. However, SAS systems compatible with the T10/1562-D standard, including those that support attachment and control of SATA devices, do not necessarily operate with SATA systems that include functions such as Port Selectors, Port Multipliers or Serial ATA Switches. This potential interoperability issue may be resolved in the future. The reader is cautioned to investigate these issues carefully before deploying these systems.

Grim

What is this storage?
hala kahiki said:
Isn't it SAS that is supposed to accomodate SATA drives, not the other way around?

Well, once you have two nearly compatible protocols, having the protocol that was accomodated move the target would be kind of churlish.

At my workplace, there's a lot of this backwards accomodation going on - the corporate LDAP team is required to not roll out new software that break systems that have grown dependant on the bugs present in the old software; the email team can't enable SMTP AUTH due to business unit fears that it'd break their servers, as they don't have time to modify their software to use it correctly, and god help any department that puts a 'this works best under {something other than IE}' on their web pages.