SATA Ports

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Sometimes I'm a little slow to catch on, and I think this is one of those times...
Why would you want a standard SATA data port on the front of your computer case? Or, in the back for that matter?

Bozo :joker:

ddrueding

Fixture
Newer external drives are using eSATA instead of USB or Firewire. Seems the native interface is faster. If it was a standard SATA plug, I would hope there is a power adapter to go with it, that would be useful when doing data recovery.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've seen boards from Gigabyte and Asus that include a plate that has a couple standard SATA ports and a place to plug in a Y-shaped molex connector. I call those things Ghetto eSATA, and I have found them useful a time or two.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The Antec Minuete 350 cases I have been getting lately have a standard SATA slot on the front of the case. There is a cable attached to it that plugs into the motherboard. But nothing for power.
Some Intel motherboards are shipping with an expansion slot SATA adaptor.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
eSATA ports are "I" and internal ports are "L." However, some cases, enclosures, and pass-throughs use external L connectors rather than eSATA, which was a later development designed to provide a more secure connection. External L connectors are just plain silly now.

ddrueding

Fixture
And right in time for a timely post, I just broke the SATA data connector on a 750GB SATA hard drive. That was part of the temporary RAID-0 that houses all my data. Fortunatly, I've managed to manually wire the data pins to where they are supposed to go, and I'll have the last of my data back onto a RAID-5 with hotspare by morning.

Before I cause any more damage...Good night.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Whenever I break one of those connectors, I RMA it back to the manufacturer. You might get a rebuilt unit, but at least you can plug it in.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
But you can't get the data off, if all you do is return it and get a rebuilt unit. The data is typically worth far more than the drive itself. so doing a modification, so as to get the data off and then not being able to return it is still a massive win.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
But you can't get the data off, if all you do is return it and get a rebuilt unit. The data is typically worth far more than the drive itself. so doing a modification, so as to get the data off and then not being able to return it is still a massive win.

Fortunatly, I have only broke the connector during the initial install.
I have noticed lately that a lot of cables don't appear very tight on the hard drive connector. They wiggle around once installed. That can't be good.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Fortunatly, I have only broke the connector during the initial install.
I have noticed lately that a lot of cables don't appear very tight on the hard drive connector. They wiggle around once installed. That can't be good.

Noticed that too, has a really cheap feel and I think the connectors are a completely bad design.

hubriscorp

What is this storage?
Its for external SATA HDDs...and nowadays,v can buy external casings and convert our internal SATA HDDs into external ones...cool,eh? :)