SATA RAID

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Any suggestions on a Serial ATA RAID card. It only needs to be able to do RAID 1.

Thanks,
Bozo :mrgrn:

Gilbo

Storage is cool
The SI cards seem to be inexpensive, popular and well supported. The 3114 series chipset is the most common I believe.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Just as an aside, the cheapest Sil cards don't have RAID functions at all. I bought a generic model from my disti not too long ago that said "RAID" all over the box, but was just a plain ol' SATA controller.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I don't know if there are standalone cards that use it, but SI's best performing chip seems to be the 3132, not the older 3114. You should be looking for something with that chipset instead.

Handruin

Administrator
Does it matter which brand of card to buy with this chipset, or are they all pretty similar? I'm in need of more SATA ports (raid or not), but the options aren't clear for SATA cards.

The thing which drives me nuts is I look at this promise SATA II for $57 and question why it's not worth spending a couple more dollars to get a new motherboard which supports 4x SATA ports?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The new motherboard is a good idea, except that I would have to buy new memory, new CPU, new video (unless it's on the MB), and a new power supply.
I went with the Adaptec 1210SA, $61.00 including shipping.

The LSI cards I found were expensive. So were the Highpoint (quality???) and 3Ware. And I have not bought a Promise RAID anything since the Maxtor/Promise debacle I had. Some of you may remember that from SR.

Bozo :mrgrn: