SCSI reset problem

Handruin

Administrator
Today I've been noticing that my plextor reader is making this noise that I only hear when my machine first boots up. The drive is making a noise that indicates a SCSI bus reset or something of that nature.

My event viewer is indicating a problem, but I don't know what the cause is. Event viewer screen capture

The error message reads:
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\sym_u32.

I have a tekram DC-390U3W with the following devices connected:

Plextor 40x CD-ROM (SE 50 pin cable)
Quantum Atlas 10KII (68 pin 5-position LVD cable)
Quantum Atlas 10KIII (68 pin 5-position LVD cable)
Seagate 18XL (68 pin 5-position LVD cable)

I've turned off my machine for a few hours and the problem continues shortly after reboot. I'm also getting this error in my event log:

The device, \Device\CdRom1, is not ready for access yet.

Is my HBA dying, or is something else going on? I'm going to move the Tekram to a different PCI slot to see if it fixes the issue.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Have you tried booting minus one of your SCSI drives, one at a time, to see if the problem occurs every times or only when a certain drive is connected?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'd put my money on dead burner. SCSI resets were among the symptoms my 8x Yamaha burners exhibited before they died.

JMP

What is this storage?
I agree with Merc, I had the same thing with a Yamaha burner, I was able to get it to work when I changed cable positions so that my DVD drive was terminating the 50 pin chain instead of the Yamaha. You don't have the option of trying this unless you have another device you can plug in to terminate the chain.

Jeff

Handruin

Administrator
For the moment, the problem has stopped...and I've done nothing. :-? I'll try removing my plextor (which isn't a CD-R if that matters) if this happens again. My Plextor is a couple years old now, maybe it is on its way out...

If that doesn't work, I'll try coug's steps to see if another devices is giving me trouble. I think it makes sense that my plextor is going a bit crazy since the event viewer specifically mentioned CD-ROM.

Handruin

Administrator
Problem has come back and I think it is my plextor 40x max. :( I've disconnected the drive and the issue hasn't come back yet.

Now I have to dig through receipts to see when it was purchased because plextor has a 2 year warranty where most drives have 1!