Seagate announces 15K savvio 2.5" HDD

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/11638

..."The new Savvio 15K is not only the world's first 2.5" hard drive with platters spinning at 15,000 RPM, Seagate also says it's 10% faster than 3.5" 15K-RPM drives, making it the world's fastest hard drive. That's a bold claim to make, but the drive's 2.5" form factor could actually help it on this front. Even with perpendicular recording, Seagate can only squeeze 36GB onto the Savvio 15K's platters. That results in fewer gigabytes per drive actuator, but it's the actuator speed that often limits performance in enterprise server environments. The fact that the Savvio 15K has less data per actuator than a 3.5" drive can actually make it faster, at least in applications that emphasize random access times rather than sequential transfer rates."...

Have at it :)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I am really hoping a good, affordable SSD becomes available this year (36GB+). I think I will hold out.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm not holding my breath for fast/affordable 36GB+ SSDs this year. This is one of those technologies that is taking forever to reach the mainstream market. I've been waiting for years.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
It is starting to get annoying. It seems like there are paper launches years before things are actually available. No more press releases until I can actually buy the product!