Seagate announces Exos and Ironwolf 16 TB heliums

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
"Seagate is launching their 16 TB CMR (conventional magnetic recording) helium drives today under two product lines - the Exos X for datacenter usage, and the IronWolf / IronWolf Pro for NAS units. The company has been actively shipping the Exos X drives to hyperscale customers, and today's launch is geared more towards the retail market. Similar to the currently available 14TB drives from Seagate, the new 16TB variants also use TDMR (two-dimensional magnetic recording) technology for the heads"

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1447...liumbased-16-tb-exos-and-ironwolf-hard-drives

Shingle free.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It's nit clear howtthe 16TB drive is achieved, e. G. Additional platters. The weight is the same as the 14TB and the transfer rate is the same.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Presumably, that's possible. An odd number of platters is still an even number of sides.

I don't know off hand how their dual actuator drives are supposed to work, so I don't know how they're tackling these kinds a issues.

LunarMist

Seagate has had a history of using multiple heads at once (Barracuda 2HP).

One could look at recent patents filed by / awarded to Seagate to see if there is anything publicly available about how they are handling it.

Source: https://redhill.net.au/d/d-o.html

That's not feasible with drives for two decades. The Seagate supposedly works like this with each actuator handling a portion of the platters.

LunarMist

The 16TB Ironside and Pro are out, but nothing yet on the EXOS. Is the EXOS version really better than the Pro in a NAS?

LunarMist

Would I be crazy to get 8 of those 16TB EX\OS and QNAP 873? That would be about 7 continent's worth of data for me until 2020 at least.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
1) Another bad link.
2) You will fill 8, 16 TB drives in 4.5 months?

LunarMist

No, of course it's not proportional and it would be RAD 6. Africa and US are more than 2/3 together, followed by South America.

LunarMist

1) Another bad link.
2) You will fill 8, 16 TB drives in 4.5 months?

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/ts-873

It's more like 20 years through 2018, but of course the rate is non-linear. Total space in RAID would be 87TB, with an 80% capacity target at 70GB.
I suppose 20 TB HDDs may be available in late 2020, but then I will have to juggle the drives or run more NAS in the interim. An 8-bayer is a lot more portable for rapid extraction than two NAS or a much larger one with 12 or 16 bays. I expect to be positioned at another station by the end of Q1 2020 and who knows what will happen in 2021.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
That's a 2.5" SATA drive, which has what to do with the Enterprise 5.25" helium drives?

I haven't seen 5.25" drives since before Sedrosken was born.

There doesn't appear to be any empirical evidence that helium makes drives more reliable.

If Seagate can't build low density single and dual platter drives, what makes you think they can manage 9 platters?

In the Backblaze Failure Rates report for Q2 2019, the HGST 12TB helium drive had an annualized failure rate of 0.28% for the quarter. The Seagate 12TB helium drive was 2.85%, which is ten times greater.

Although I'm cherry-picking, the rate for that HGST model is going down with age while the Seagate is going up.

LunarMist

I meant 3.5' drives. Remember the Quantum Bigfoot. :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

I did not realize the larger drives were problematic. The 10TB are giving great service so far. When will WD have 16TB? Are they waiting for the MAMS?