Seagate Barracuda ES 750GB

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Something I did not see in that article is whether the ES-model drives are designed to deal with additional heat as well as additional vibration. I'd guess that rubber mounting grommets are enough to curb vibration, but not having to add an extra fan (and the noise of an extra fan) would be a more worthwhile reason to look at an ES-type drive.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
If you are going to rubber mount the hard drive, then you can buy the cheaper model. Same capacity, same warrenty. :-D

Bozo :joker:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I picked off a couple of the retail ATA version at the CompUSA last week and they are good drives. Capacity is only 698GB, but you know how that goes...

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
BTW, I don't feel any more vibration than with other drives and access times are fine.

Handruin

Administrator
I love that case, be it a bit pricy. I'm still considering an eSATA external enclosure even on the single level. I like having native performance in an external enclosure with a very simple cable.

ddrueding

Fixture
Merc,

this is what you need, filled with 750GB drives

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2018300,00.asp

Things like this annoy me:

0,1425,sz=1&i=140180,00.jpg

To connect twelve drives over a four-port eSATA adapter, the DS-1220 uses two Silicon Image 3726 SATALink SATA II port multipliers on its backplane to combine five drives onto a single port each. The remaining two drives, #11 and #12, have dedicated ports of their own. When using the bundled SATARAID5 software to create and manage RAID arrays, you won't be able to create arrays larger than five drives. Silicon Image recommends creating two 5-drive RAID5 arrays and using the two individual drives as hot spares.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Maybe it's just me, but this seems like a half-assed solution.

You have to have a buy an adapter card. You have to run four separate cables. You can't have all of the drives in a RAID array.

They should offer it with just an internal to external adapter bracket, with a single connector external cable. And you should be able to have all of the drives in a single array (even if it's with their crappy controller). Honestly, this should probably be a six or eight lane solution, rather than four; those drives are stepping all over one another.

ddrueding

Fixture
I agree sechs. I have my SATA drives in internal hotswap enclosures, connected via SATA to real, independant SATA channels, in a real computer, connected to GbE. It's really not that much more expensive.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Hey, Tannin?

(Yes, little one?)

How many RAID systems do we have?

(None. I don't like RAID.)

Oh. OK. How many external SATA setups?

(None.)

Er ... Internal SATA?

(Nope.)

SCSI?

(Outside the ancient Cheetah X15s? Nope.)

10K IDE?

(Nada. Zip. Not touching Western Digital. You know that.)

Well, how about plain old ordinary SATA?

(None.)

Err ... How many drives do we have altogether. In our own systems, I mean?

(Well .... counting laptop, various smoothies, and a few other odds and ends ... er ... 17, I think. Four SCSI (3 of them 18GB X15s and something very extremely old in a Quantum Viking), the rest plain old boring IDE. All Samsung 7200s except for the boot drive in the laptop (which is whatever brand Lenovo felt like sticking in it), the additional laptop drives (Samsung 5400s), and the smoothies, which could be anything, and probably are.)

Why?

(Why not?)