Serial Ports

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The newer motherboards that I will be ordering do not have any serial ports. But they do have a serial port connector on the motherboard. I would like to use this connector if posible.
I have been searching for an adaptor but what I end up finding are pci cards that have serial ports on them.
Has anyone ever seen a serial port adaptor that connects directly to the motherboard??

Thanks,
Bozo :joker:

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance

If it's got the RS-232 serial port header on the mobo, the mobo has at least one RS-232 serial port.

As for a ribbon cable that plugs into the header on the mobo with a DB9 (or DB25) connector on the other end, they are nearly as common as dirt matey. I recently discarded a small pile of them! Alas, none here.

However, if you have dealt with new boxed mobos over the past few years, I suspect you have some of these ribbon cable adapters laying around. They can come with or without an L-bracket. For use without an L-bracket, you need to have the cutout for the DB9 D-shell connector on the removable port template on the back of the chassis, or have a knockout for DB9 (or DB25) on the back of the chassis sheet metal just above the removable port template.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Beware! Unless there has been a change in the last few years, there is no common standard pin-out. Cables from one brand of motherboard may or may not work on a different board.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks for your replys. :-D

The serial port was to be used for an external modem, that we already have. I will buy an internal modem.

Bozo :joker:

iGary

Learning Storage Performance
Tannin said:
Beware! Unless there has been a change in the last few years, there is no common standard pin-out. Cables from one brand of motherboard may or may not work on a different board.

As long as the red stripe on the ribbon cable part of the RS-232 adapter is mated to pin #1, there should be no problems.

The only problem that I've ran into with these RS232 adapters has been that some of them have 9 "open" pins on the plastic female connector that plugs onto what is usually a 10-pin (male) header connector on the mobo.