Server 2008 free

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
For a moment there, I actually thought that Microsoft might be giving away Server 2008 in order to spur adoption....

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Have enterprise up on my laptop. Fairly snappy. A bunch of basic software, like dictionaries, won't install. Driver problems for scanner, screen, and no dual monitor support. Password security is a real problem. Requires a serious amount of typing for a password, but, on the otherhand don't have to restart it very often. Can't remember how to turn off event sign off, and, 'enhanced internet' settings come standard, and take a while to turn off.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That's 2003, Greg. 2008 is an enormous pile of suck that takes all the worst parts of Vista and combines them with all the drawbacks of Server.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
That's 2003, Greg. 2008 is an enormous pile of suck that takes all the worst parts of Vista and combines them with all the drawbacks of Server.

Actually, it's Windows 2008 enterprise, that I don't trust on anything but a laptop, but, I agree with you. 2003 seems to work fairly well, except for games.

s

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Question: Is there a free or trial virtulization software that this will work under?

I want to give server 2008 a try with our software to determine if it works or not (not just take mfg's "it should work") but don't want to dedicate a machine multiple boot etc to try it.

Edit: looks like VMware is free too, will give that a try. Never done something like this before.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Thanks. Actually I am damn impressed. Never used VMware before and it took a while to figure out the install VMware tools to get drivers but after that it was just easy. Fast too, server 2008 the eval link above anyway, installs very quick. I think I had desktop in under 10 minutes.

Didn't play around with 2008 too much at first but I will tomorrow, more interested in the immediate thing with our software compatibility.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Thanks. Actually I am damn impressed. Never used VMware before and it took a while to figure out the install VMware tools to get drivers but after that it was just easy. Fast too, server 2008 the eval link above anyway, installs very quick. I think I had desktop in under 10 minutes.

Didn't play around with 2008 too much at first but I will tomorrow, more interested in the immediate thing with our software compatibility.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Keep in mind, if you load the 2008 on a disk with Linux, the disk defragger will totally screw your entire disk, and, you get to start over.

Does something to grub...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Server 2008 works OK on my Thinkpad, but the couple servers I have are both mysteriously slow for interactive tasks; way WAY moreso than would be suggested by the "adjust this server for background processes" setting would indicate.

I don't get the feeling that it's really running any faster than Vista does on my notebook, which is quite a bit different from Server 2003 vs. XP.