Server System

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Get this, a customer contacts me asking for a web server. Him and his buddy speced out the machine, and sent me this list:

Hard Drive space.. 2 – 250~300Gb HDD
1 – 40GB For system drive
Mainboard Asus P4c800
Processor Intel P4C 2.4Ghz w/Hyper-treading
Main Memory 2 GB PC3200 DDR Memory
Drives CD-RW Drive
Power Supply 550W or better
Microsoft Windows 2000

Any opinions?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
by web does he mean HTTP only? or will there be some type of backend like a database? dynamic or static content?

I think that sounds like a huge amount of space.. more like a file server... as usual the CPU and RAM are overspec'd and I'd prefer a PC power and Cooling supply of any wattage to a generic 550watt.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
2 gagabytes of RAM on an i875P mainboard? Is it supposed to be a high traffic server? IMO, most of that RAM will never be used and will actually slow down the system rather than speeding it up.

And +500GB of storage...for a web server? Damn, I never thought Frontpage could produce such bloated HTML code.

I hope you told him he absolutely needs an ATI Radeon 9800XT on that box too if he expects any reasonnable performances. :roll:

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I got this order through a friend, and here is what I wrote:

Jim, interesting combination of components for this machine. I thought it was supposed to be a server. Instead, the items listed make it a workstation. Certainly something that you would not use for hosting any type of web content, let alone set up as a print and file server. The biggest server no-no is the use of plain old Windows 2000, the operating system should be Windows 2000 Server or better, which will price at ~$800.00 and up. Of course, if someone is adept with Linux or BSD, they can use one of those operating systems instead, for free.

Two gigabytes of memory is indeed a noble pursuit, but unless this machine will be used in a cluster to host msnbc.com, one gigabyte of memory will be plenty. Also, specifying a 550-watt power supply is nice, but we’ll need to use one that is reliable, stable, and can sustain a high load. A Vantec Ion 400-watt would be excellent for this system. Asus is normally not used as a server motherboard, as they cater more towards the enthusiast and gaming market. Supermicro and Tyan would be recommended for a server environment. The hard drive arrangement is smart, as utilizing a separate boot/system drive is important. I would also add a smaller capacity drive to wholly support the swap file. Two 250-gigabyte drives is nice, especially if they are mirrored as a RAID 1 array. This will provide the necessary redundancy for a small server. Obviously, all of this should be housed in a roomy and well-ventilated case. Fortunately, servers don’t have any special video requirements, so even an 8-megabyte AGP card would do. The server would probably run headless anyway, once the operating system was installed.

Let me know if this helps narrow down the requirements for a web/print/file sharing server. I have no problems building the original system, but it would not be properly designed for the server environment.

Handruin

Administrator
CougTek said:
I hope you told him he absolutely needs an ATI Radeon 9800XT on that box too if he expects any reasonnable performances. :roll:

I really had a nice laugh at that. :D

Coug, I think the RAM could be utilized if we knew what they planned to do with it, even if it only runs a HTTP server. If they planned to get involved with java servlets and things of that nature, it could be ram hungry. SQL being the larest enemy, it takes a considerable database to utilize that amount of ram.

In that config, I would much rather see dual CPU if you had to trade in 1GB of ram. (not suggesting the price would be the same) As we've seen on this site numerous times, the performance comes to a crawl when a script goes haywire. Even though we have dual PIII 933's, this type of thing causes even the simplest web page to slow down. If storageforum was the only one on this server, I feel it would scream even with 1GB ram and two 933's.

No mention of network interface? Maybe an intel card that takes some of the processing load off the CPU? I doubt they'd find a place that could utilize GbE...but I could be wrong.

You could also suggest Windows Server 2003, Web Edition if they must have a windows OS. Microsoft suggests the price will be $397 with no CALs required.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Handruin said:
As we've seen on this site numerous times, the performance comes to a crawl when a script goes haywire.
A script that goes haywire is a software problem. Adding a second CPU is only a kind of patch to a software issue, as the machine remains responsive only because a second CPU takes care of the remaining processes while the first CPU is busy because a rogue process has entered an infinite loop.

I agree that a dual-CPU system is more forgiving, but the problem here would still not happen if the software wasn't somehow corrupted.

And the servers where 2GB of RAM are actually put to good use aren't based on an Asus mainstream motherboard IMO. If his applications and I/O flow requires THAT much RAM, then a whole architectural review of the first system proposition would be required.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
why do you guys want a windows server OS?

what's wrong with running apache on win2k pro and setting the time slice/priority to background services and memory usage to system cache?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If they're doing something interesting and dynamic, you need to sell TWO servers, Buck, one for web and one to handle their DB or whatever server-side processing they're doing.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
He'll learn better with two computers.

Seriously. One to run *nix and the other for some form of Windows Server.