SF Folding@Home Graphical Sig

Handruin

Administrator
Do you want to try our own, or use someone elses? I think I can get that script to work, or we can use a generator from another site such as the one you see below:

folding

Handruin

Administrator
I looked through the script you linked to and it looks fairly straight forward. I'm going to try it out and I will post the results here. Since this person has done the leg work, I think it might be possible to enhance it.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Well, our own custom one with the SF logo/name would be excellent but I'm not sure how difficult that would be.

The instructions in the link above were unclear to me. DId you just make that sig following their procedure? If yes, just let me know and I will re-read it until it sinks in...

Thanks,
C

Handruin

Administrator
The signature I made was from another site. They had a web based GUI to build the sig and I copied the URL into my post.

I'm setting up the link you sent me and I will have an example in a few minutes. (maybe 10 to 15 minutes)

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
You Roxors! (or however the 'net punks do it) :wink:

Handruin

Administrator
THis was a pretty easy script to setup.

fahsig.php

Use the following format and enter your name into the path where mine is outlined in blue. Make sure to change h**p to http.

h**p://www.storageforum.net/fah/fahsig.php?user=handruin&bg=0

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Cool. Is there anything I can do to help cusomize the look? I've seen some pretty sweet ones at the Folding forum. Liquid Ninjas come to mind...

C

fahsig.php

Handruin

Administrator
If you would like to help, how about making a static image with the data you would like to see in the signature.

I will then customize the script to fit your style and we can go from there. Eventually we can put together different backgrounds for other people and also provide a way to custimize the output.

The script gives us the basic setup that we need and it seems to work good so far, except that it is very large.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
OK..so I should make an image with dimensions that are roughly the same as the stats box (maybe a little smaller)?

I'll work on that..I just have to get PS working again...

C

Handruin

Administrator
It's up to you if you'd like to make up the signature graphic. You don't need to make it the same size, the one they give you is rather large for a signature. I will play around with some designs, but I figured if you wanted it to look a certain way, now's the time. :)

Handruin

Administrator
Yup, that worked...

Place this in your profile...
Code:
[img]http://www.storageforum.net/fah/fahsig.php?user=fushigi&bg=0[/img]

Handruin

Administrator
Which image looks like hell, the big white one? If so, I completely agree. That's what I was asking Clocker about. I'd like to design a nice one and then have that as the default background.

The white one is a test at this point until we get the script working the way we like.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Handruin said:
Yup, that worked...

Place this in your profile...
Code:
[img]http://www.storageforum.net/fah/fahsig.php?user=fushigi&bg=0[/img]
Bit chin. :p

The image is too large and all, but it's a good starting point. I'd suggest an image with the SF logo & a DNA strand. Make it wider but much shorter; I'm sure few people here use less than 800x600. I'd offer to help but I suck at image editing.

Handruin

Administrator
I'll take a stab at making a graphic tomorrow night, I need to catch some Z's right now. :)

I have a bunch of ideas for this script, more on that tomorrow. Let me know if you have any other ideas. I'll try to incorporate them.

Handruin

Administrator
I take it you don't like the slanted edge to the left of the name?

Handruin

Administrator
It's going to take me some time to get the data to display on the image. Let me give you a run-down of how this thing works.

The script takes the base image and calculates the dimensions in pixels and assign the X and Y coordinates into an array.

From those dimensions a png file is generated of the same size as an overlay.

The script then creates text into the image using the data from the database. My job is to plug in the numbers so that each piece of information is at the correct location on the graphic using X and Y coordinates in pixels.

So far we have the available options to be placed on the image:

Username
User Score
User WUs
Rank in Team
User Rank

Team Name (not really needed because of image)
Team Score
Team WUs
Overal Team Rank
Total Team Members

Since space can be limited (we all don't like large signatures) which of the above data sets would you guys like to see on the signature?

I'll have to do it this way until I can design a system that allows each user to create their own customize signature.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Username... User Rank... Team Rank...

um, the salnt has been overdone... nah really, it's OK. I just thoguht a gradient looked better, I tried a horizontal gradient that kept the slant but it didn't blend as well. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Handruin

Administrator
Here is the new one. I'm sure it will require a bit more tweaking, but it's a little better than the big white one.

I also have he task of figuring out how to create a cron job to make the stats update every three hours. Right now it only updates when I run the script, so there may be a slight delay in stats information.

fahsig.php

Code:
[img]http://www.storageforum.net/fah/version2/fahsig.php?user=handruin&bg=3[/img]

Handruin

Administrator
This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test.

Handruin

Administrator
The image seems large even though it is smaller than the other one. I'm going to work on a much thinner version tomorrow.

For now I'm off to bed.