www.willrickards.net
Testing:
fahsig.php

Looks good but not for a sig.
Maybe in the profile page?
Or on my website.

Handruin

Administrator
I'll work on a micro version to reduce file size and screen space. I'll also work on making a non-grapical version (all HTML). It's going to take me some time, but I will let you all know when it is ready.

Be forwarned that the link to the current signature generator may change. I will let everyone know know in advance if it changes.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
oopo sorry Clocker. should have said: "and Clocker Rox0rs for telling us about it.

Merc, the image is only 6KB. .. does it visibly take time for it to load on your connection?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It's only 6KB, but every one has a different image that changes periodically, which makes browser cache and local proxy server less useful.

It takes me around 15 seconds to load 25-reply thread here at SF, if I'm not doing anything else. I'm genuinely concerned that five or six of the regulars having these in their .sig would add another five or ten. The time adds up.

I know a lot of you guys have a hard time of the internet not being instantaneous.

Let me put this in a way you can understand:

I have multilink-PPP on two 14.4 connections (normally. Sometimes they're slower). That's like having a 2-lane road and a 15mph speed limit. Any car on that road is only gonna go 15mph, but twice as many cars can be on the road at once.

By the same token, I have a 28.8-equivalent connection, but I can't download things at ~3KB/sec. Nope. Under most circumstances, I basically download two things at the same time, at ~1.3KB/sec each.

This stuff is the reason I filter everything I get from my browser very heavily, why I can't see most of the the picture links and about half the avatars at SF. I don't block images on SF's server, though, which appears to be the only way I could get rid of these. Move the images to a server other than SF and I'll never know they're there, but if they're here and several people are using them it's a bit of a problem for me.

Handruin

Administrator
Merc, is your blocking system IP based, or domain name based? Reason I ask is that I can move this project to handruin.com and then you can continue to leave images "on" for SF and turn them "off" for handruin.com if you chose. Would that help?

I'm rewriting the entire thing as we speak. It's getting complicated (at least for me) so it will be a little while before I can get this thing to produce HTML based signatures. Once that happens, maybe it will be better for people to use the HTML on SF and put the graphical ones on other sites? Just a thought...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm pretty much relying on Mozilla's image blocking on this site. It's probably domain based. I'm not sure.

Handruin

Administrator
There is no way for me to include HTML content into the post, so the HTML generator doesn't work for us. I'll have to focus on making a smaller image.

Here is the basic HTML stats with no style set.

handruin stats

Code:
http://www.storageforum.net/fah/version3/tester.php?user=handruin

Handruin

Administrator
Bartender said:
I think it would be nice if all of the stats could be on one line.

I will make a graphic that is shorter and slightly wider. This should help it blend into the forum.

Handruin

Administrator
Alrighty, how about this one?

Code:
[img]http://www.storageforum.net/fah/version3/fahsig2.php?user=handruin&bg=4[/img]

Handruin

Administrator
Damnit, this pisses me off :) I knew once I found a smaller size...someone's name would F it up.

:wink:

fahsig2.php

Handruin

Administrator
Will Rickards WT said:
Maybe you can use the font from this site to make the name smaller?

I like the font, but I don't know if PHP can accept custom fonts. We may be stuck with the choices of arial, helvetica, and times. The fonts are generated using one of the graphic libraries of PHP...I'll investigate, because it may be possible.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
That was a username I sued when Iw as comparing computer speeds.. it was dedicated to a computer named TinNyanko... i dont use that username anymore anyway.. I just go by blakerwry now man.

Handruin

Administrator
I was only joking about your name, I didn't mean anything by it. While I was creating the signature logo, I said to myself that someone's name is not going to fit...but I didn't worry about it.

Sure enough, when I went through the list, one of your names doesn't fit.

Handruin

Administrator
I made a new toy to play with. This is still experimental and not entirely user friendly. In either case, this page is designed to (eventually) list the different available signatures for SF F@H and to allow a member to select their name, and generate the signature + URL.

I know the page doesn't look like much, but there is some logic going on behind the page. Once I finish the features, I'll make it a little more user friendly.

http://www.storageforum.net/fah/index.php

Handruin

Administrator
Hehe...I thought no one would notice. There was a small issue on the server. Somehow the /var directory was filled 100% causing MySQL to have a small seizure.

The small "seizure" killed one table in the FAH stats database generator. This table happened to be the user table. Fortunately this database is updated every few hours and the data isn't really important if it is lost since it can be rebuilt automatically. I rebuilt the table when I got home from work this evening and everything seems fine now.

Sorry about that folks. ;)

Handruin

Administrator
Hehe...I thought no one would notice. There was a small issue on the server. Somehow the /var directory was filled 100% causing MySQL to have a small seizure.

The small "seizure" killed one table in the FAH stats database generator. This table happened to be the user table. Fortunately this database is updated every few hours and the data isn't really important if it is lost since it can be rebuilt automatically. I rebuilt the table when I got home from work this evening and everything seems fine now.

Sorry about that folks. ;)

Handruin

Administrator
Stats are down again. I fear the hard drive on our host may have a bad cluster...it's a wild guess, but I've seen something like this the last time it happened.

The actual database file is locked and I can't fix it. I'm letting support look into this before I recreate the stats table again. I'll let you know when it has been fixed... :frusty:

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Our server seems to have become a bigger and bigger problem as time goes on. What type of cost would be involved for a dedicated machine versus a shared machine?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
well, i don't think the expense would be justified. Even if we could use our own box I think it would be more expensive(from what I've seen).

But my opinion may not matter too much at this point because i'm not bothered by the infrequent downtime... but people visiting the forum for the 1st time might be. If we want people to look at the site and be repeat guests then we need to maintain a good level of uptime and good level of speed.

I'd be interested in seeing what the uptime for our site is. If it's above 99% and it's always up durng peak hours, then I don't see that anything really needs to be done.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
For me infrequent downtime isn't the issue. The issue is why this site was created in the first place. SR went down hard (see Tea's avatar) and we knew that we could manage a site that wouldn't fall prey to this issue.

Handruin

Administrator
I've investigated dedicated solutions, but I'm not making enough money through my reselling to justify the cost to own a dedicated machine.

We're talking about $110 per month for a basic machine, which is more than enough to host us and any resold clients I've obtained. With their income, the cost would be lower by roughly $30 per month. (Making the cost roughly $80 per month)

Second major issue for me is that the dedicated solution is unmanaged...which means it would be in my best interest to become highly familiar with Linux. At this stage I am not as skilled with the OS as many of you are, however I am learning. Unmanaged would mean free reboots and possible kernel upgrades. All other configurations are up to the owner/user.

A managed solution would be $200-$400 per month for the same type of machine. If anyone has any connections, please let me know. I’m open to all ideas, even collocation if the monthly cost is reasonable.

If we were serious about expanding the site, a dedicated solution would be a requirement and I don’t think it would be out of the question.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Handruin said:
If we were serious about expanding the site, a dedicated solution would be a requirement and I don’t think it would be out of the question.

Indeed, it is more expensive.

You want us to be serious now? :eekers:

Handruin

Administrator
nah...but there is always the complaint that we need new blood and if we were to expand, we would have to come up with a plan.