[Short Review] - Blue Mouse and Navigator keyboard

Handruin

Administrator
I decided to take a drive to my local bestbuy this evening in hopes to find a nifty toy to take home. My goal was to replace my aging keyboard and mouse combo, which consists of a basic Microsoft IntelliMouse (non-optical) with the ever famous scroll wheel.

The other item I replaced is a Logitech Internet keyboard. I never used any of the features of the keyboard so I wasn't too excited about purchasing another glorified plastic playhouse.

So I arrive at best buy and walked over to the mouse section where I see the ever eye-catching Blue mouse by Microsoft. I know what your going to say...”Doug, a blue mouse, c'mon man, don't get fancy with the toys.” So I picked it up and ask the guy next to me how much it was since the sales drone just informed us of the price but my filters must have been engaged. $26.95 barks the guy next to me as he went on to tell me about the wireless version. I asked..."how long do the batteries last", but he didn't know. So I stuck to the basics and pawed up the corded version.

I then scrolled down the isle a bit to see the plastic playhouse arena. I skip over the unnatural, natural keyboards and head to a wafer thin Logitech Internet Navigator keyboard. So I examine it for about 2 minutes and then decide it is going home with me.

I proceed to the checkout line and pay my dues. As I'm walking out a sales person in a yellow bestbuy shirt asks to see my receipt, so I ignore him like a chump and walk out. (I didn't steal it leave me alone). :dunno: So I continue to my car and eventually making it home in one piece.

So I bust open the packaging like it's a Christmas morning for a 4 year old, except I'm 21 years older then that. I crawl under the desk and entangle the new device in a web of mayhem in order to make it feel at home. The new blue mouse perks up and shines red. (yes, it really did shine) The Blue mouse is not much different from any other optical mouse. Only difference so far is the blue colored plastic on top.

So you want specs on this new gadget...not here I'm only going to tell you how it works and show some shiny pictures. Immediately I notice a difference. ("How so Doug?") First impression of the optical mouse is summarized in one word; accuracy. The mouse is very precise, and will go exactly where I point it. There is no lag, and in fact I noticed a boost in speed from my ball'ed mouse. The mouse has a feeling of less drag, which I assume is related to the lack of drag from a rubber ball.

keyboardmouse2.jpg

Now for the real test... how will the mouse perform when I decide to fire up Photoshop and work on some images? Without hesitation in my reaction, the mouse was down right fantastic. For any of you Photoshop users who have struggled to get the marquee in just the right spot, this mouse is for you. With my last mouse, I would try to marquee a small section of an image and miss my intended position…not this time!

Next area of improvement is with the wheel. The wheel in my previous mouse was becoming a tired option. It took effort to scroll through a web page, now I can practically spin the wheel mouse and let her sail away. The wheel is also slightly wider. At first I thought it would be too bulky, but I’m finding it easier to use.

Now onto the Logitech keyboard. Once again I chose a keyboard full of enough options to cause a seizure. However this board has a nice layout to it. Only one small quark I find with it is the small indented button right next to the Escape button. I looked at it and thought, “awe, how cute” and gave her a press. Within seconds my screen went blank and the room became silent leaving me in a confused stare at my monitor. “Ah, that’s what the half-moon shaped button does”. Never in my life have I tried to put my 24x7 computer to sleep with the keyboard…no I know. A small piece of tape will cure this button’s problem. How dare you force my computer to turn off Logitech!

A reboot was in order to cure the drowsiness from the nice nap my computer took. I then did what everyone else would do…I pushed all them friggin buttons. Surprising me once again 95% of the feature buttons work without Logitech’s software installed. If you haven’t seen this keyboard up close take a gander at the photo below.

keyboard1.jpg

Over in the left corner are a small wheel and two buttons. I decided to take the new board for a drive on the web and I have to admit it was a pleasant drive. For once I can give my right hand a break and let my left hand scroll up and down elongated web pages. With a press of the first button, I can go back a page just like pressing “backspace”, except now I don’t have to reach across the keyboard.

I was slightly skeptical about installing the drivers to this keyboard. I wasn’t impressed with the software included with my last keyboard, but this time I was brave and gave it a shot. The install was brainless; just follow the wizard and reboot. You do have to be careful not to install their advertisement features. Fortunately they allow you to unselect them. Logitech also has a feature to allow their software to “check home” for updates, but I decided not to allow them into my machine.

After the reboot I found nothing different. So I fired up their configuration tool, which allows me to customize these nifty keys on top. So I configured the “search” key to open up google.com, and it works with no problems. I set the “shopping” key to open up the trusty bensbargains.net so I can give you guys faster notice on some hot deals! ;) I then set the messenger button to fire up trillian, and just like the rest of the buttons this worked like a charm.

Overall I came home a happy camper. Both items were the same price of $26.95. I doubt it was the best deal, but for small items like these I don’t shop around a ton.

keyboardmouse1.jpg

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
We should create a "reviews" section in the forum that would serve as a reference for other members.

I'm tempted by the mouse. Since mice are the peripherals I use the most after the monitor (more than the keyboard), it seems like a wise investment. For now, I'm pretty happy with my 2 years-old Logitech First Mouse + USB, but I'm sure I would like to have a better precision out of my clicking device. I've rarely used a mouse costing more than 30$CDN (20U$) and my experiences with optical mice have, so far, been on the negative side.

As for the keyboards, they don't last me long enough to worth spending money on them. I currently use an older Logitech model than the one you got (i-Touch USB). I didn't find the shortcut buttons very useful on mine, so I don't use them. But yours seems better. The scroll on keyboard looks like a nice feature.

Handruin

Administrator
CougTek said:
We should create a "reviews" section in the forum that would serve as a reference for other members.

I'm tempted by the mouse. Since mice are the peripherals I use the most after the monitor (more than the keyboard), it seems like a wise investment. For now, I'm pretty happy with my 2 years-old Logitech First Mouse + USB, but I'm sure I would like to have a better precision out of my clicking device. I've rarely used a mouse costing more than 30$CDN (20U$) and my experiences with optical mice have, so far, been on the negative side.

As for the keyboards, they don't last me long enough to worth spending money on them. I currently use an older Logitech model than the one you got (i-Touch USB). I didn't find the shortcut buttons very useful on mine, so I don't use them. But yours seems better. The scroll on keyboard looks like a nice feature.

A review section is in the works for the new site. I figured having a place for people to share their equipment experieince could be benificial for others as you've pointed out.

I usually buy the Intellimouse pretty cheap at computer shows or online somewhere. But this time I wanted to try a mouse costing a little more money with an optical control to see if it was worth it. The hard part is judging the how good the new one feels in comparison to my old one which has had plenty of use on it. It's not a fair comparison and I know the propper way would be to compare both mice brand new.

So far I have found no side effect of the mouse being optical. The only major difference I notice is how much easier it is to track. I'll be putting it through it's paces. The different isn't night and day, but as I mentioned the area I saw it the most was with photoshop. If you can find a place that will let you return it, check it out and see what you think. I can't say it's worth the primum for some, but I was getting tired of picking mouse pad link out of my balls...um, mouse ball. ;)

Keyboards last me about 2 years. I don't know how this compares to you, but for me roughly $26 every two years is not big deal. I don't think I would ever spend much more then this. The only thing I really wanted out of this keyboard is the left hand scrolling wheel. The volume thingy might come in handy, or maybe the search button.

Oh well, I just wanted to write up a short reivew on new product I purchased today. I'll let everyone know when we have a review place. That way others can write up informal reviews, or whatever they want to do.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
If blue is the "in" color these days, I'm pretty sure Logitech was the first to market a blue optical mouse. The details about it are here. I installed 7 of that specific kind a couple of years ago. They worked fantastically well, and all were still doing fine last I saw.

Also note that Logitech started making a red version a while back as well. You can see it here.

I see they also have a "Limited Edition" black mouse (look here).

If you're looking to try an optical mouse on the cheap, try the Logitech B69. It's supposedly not as high a precision as the others, but you can get it from MultiWave for just $12.00 (here). It's what I've been using with my old IBM Thinkpad and I'm hooked. :)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Bah. Trackballs are the one true pointing device!

Logitech does make good stuff. I'm not terribly fond of Microsoft keyboards or mice, although my customers are always happy to get them. I've no idea why. I've probably presided over the deaths of a half-dozen microsoft keyboards.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Handruin said:
As I'm walking out a sales person in a yellow bestbuy shirt asks to see my receipt, so I ignore him like a chump and walk out. (I didn't steal it leave me alone)

Nice review Doug.

[inside joke]Maybe you should go back and take the yellow shirt guy's picture.[/inside joke]

Handruin

Administrator
Groltz said:
Handruin said:
As I'm walking out a sales person in a yellow bestbuy shirt asks to see my receipt, so I ignore him like a chump and walk out. (I didn't steal it leave me alone)

Nice review Doug.

[inside joke]Maybe you should go back and take the yellow shirt guy's picture.[/inside joke]

Would you like fries with that. :bravo: (sorry tannin, couldn't resist)

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
You mean being faced with the shame of being born with a microsoft logo printed on them?
No, that's stamped on them after testing. It's Engrish for "second rate".

SteveC

Storage is cool
There's a $10 rebate on the mouse in today's (Sunday) ad for Best Buy. You might be able to get it if you're lucky.

BTW, I also love the precision of optical mice over the ball version. I have the original Microsoft Explorer optical mouse and it's much better for Photoshop than regular mice. It's also good for gaming, but it doesn't seem to help me much. :(

Steve

Handruin

Administrator
SteveC said:
There's a $10 rebate on the mouse in today's (Sunday) ad for Best Buy. You might be able to get it if you're lucky.

BTW, I also love the precision of optical mice over the ball version. I have the original Microsoft Explorer optical mouse and it's much better for Photoshop than regular mice. It's also good for gaming, but it doesn't seem to help me much. :(

Steve

Thanks for the heads up on that one. I'm going down to get my rebate!

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
CougTek said:
It's scary that I'm thinking like CougTek ( :D ) but when I saw the photos and the way you explained how things worked I thought of the same thing.

We don't expect super-professional reviews to start pouring in but it would be fun anyway...

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Nice review, Doug.

Last time I tried an optical mouse, it was some cheap Logitech version. Didn't like it at all. Perhaps because I've been using the MS Intellimouse for about 4-5 years now and the shape and feel I've gotten used to over the years. I have 4 spare ones here, just in case. Till last year I was using the first one I got in mid 1998, only reason I stopped using it was because the scroll wheel became too stiff, despite taking it apart and spraying it out with contact cleaner spray. Anything else feels wrong for some reason.

I'm no fan of buttons on the eyboard except volume control and mute which I use a lot. My Logitech keyboard I've had for a couple of years has 12 buttons, including that lovely moon shaped one that does the unspeakable. The only ones I use are the volume control.

Sol

Storage is cool
I have a mitsubishi keyvoard that I picked up for $28 or somthing, it has a few extra buttons including mute and a nice volume knob. The feature I really like is the complete lack of any buttons that turn off your pc. It seems somone in marketing or design was paying attention to what computer users want...

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Sol said:
The feature I really like is the complete lack of any buttons that turn off your pc. It seems somone in marketing or design was paying attention to what computer users want...
I was about to say you are lying but then I saw you surpassed me on F@h... :p

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
nice work doug :)

MS mice have always been a lot better then most mice on the market and they still are imho. Logitech mice have always felt feeble to me. bring back the honeywell mouse i say!

speaking of Honeywell, they are still making keyboards and thankfully so. the long-travel keyed keyboards now often seen branded as Key Tronic, is still the most robust and best feeling desktop keyboard. the spacemate series keyboards, although apparently robust too, are not my cup of tea.